Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

Me either it's already made its money

Well I think that MI3D could be considered a bomb simply because they've spent 10 million dollars converting the film into 3D, and countless more promoting it. It could end up losing money.
  • Like 1

Well I think that MI3D could be considered a bomb simply because they've spent 10 million dollars converting the film into 3D, and countless more promoting it. It could end up losing money.

Well, the promotion yes that's the hurdle they have to get over...on the bright side, the conversion cost is tiny on this. Not even close to $10M. Still could lose money though, P&A is costly.

Well, the promotion yes that's the hurdle they have to get over...on the bright side, the conversion cost is tiny on this. Not even close to $10M. Still could lose money though, P&A is costly.

Is the conversion cost less than 10 million? I've always heard that 10 million is about the standard cost for a conversion.

judging from the trailers and all the "the making of JR" PR programs, Jack Reacher seems to be nothing but a standard, uninspired action flick. I think Tom Cruise is the only reason for its 18-20m opening; it's a standard Cruise opening and I see around Valkyrie US DOM finish. Cruise is still a draw, and more reliable than most A-list stars (if there's any actually these days). I reckon very few stars, all by themselves can take a low budget, generic action movie to this at least decent opening.

That's solid for Jack Reacher. This is 40 is a pretty mediocre number. I'm a big fan of Rudd and Apatow and Knocked Up is one of my favorite movies, but I don't even have the urge to run out and go see it. Sad as it is, I think the whole silly 'Mayan 2012' thing is wearing the box office down a bit- at least here in South Florida, there's a ton of parties.