Dementeleus

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

Great weekend all around, holy crap for Django! :o I way underestimated that one. I still can't believe that a movie like that is doing this well over Xmas, but good for it. I think it's safe to say Tarantino has officially become a big box office draw. He might wanna reconsider that whole retirement thing. Can't wait to see it.Hobbit is less than $20m behind TTT through the same point now, and that gap should narrow by Tuesday. I think it can outgross it and I'm pulling for $350m. We'll see how it holds in 2013. I wonder if it can spend a 4th weekend on top? Django's right on its tail though.Les Mis is still doing great, though admittedly a bit disappointing after that huge OD. Still pulling for the highest musical gross.Lincoln has now passed JFK in admissions as well as far as presidential biopics go, and I think it still has a spectacular January/February ahead of it.SLP is the biggest flub up of the season, as there's no reason that shouldn't be on it's way to a $80m+ gross if it had been marketed and expanded right at all.

Hobbit will ease a lot more after the holidays. It will be lucky to make 300. It won't touch 350.

I agree and understand this to a point. But this budget is so much bigger than other QT budgets and it really doesn't make sense. It would need a IB run at minimum in order to break even for Harvey.

Which indicates Harvey either figures he can break even with home video and TV, or he's pre sold foreign territories, or he doesn't care.

Hobbit will ease a lot more after the holidays. It will be lucky to make 300. It won't touch 350.

FOTR was already several days past the new year's by the same point in its run and nearly $35m behind TH1 in gross. That finished at $313m. So how in the hell would TH1 be lucky to hit 300 now, especially with the wastelands of January where it will ZERO new competition? Sorry but I don't think so. 350m is my optimistic hope, but 300m+ is easily locked.

Hell yeah, Django. The show I saw last night was packed and the audience ate it up. This should have better legs than Inglourious Basterds did even without the Christmas equation. Les Mis and Hobbit did great as well. A fitting end to this interesting year.

It was more like $40m -- FOTR was at $272m when the nominations were announced.edit: I'm too slow. Still, not every dollar of that can be attributed solely to its nominations... and it may well be a moot point because these days movies are so much more frontloaded TH1 will have made most of its money by February.

Edited by Telemachos