38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Cars

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to write a review of this after watching it again. It's really tempting to dismiss this movie/franchise as "Pixar's cash-in", but it still possesses a sort of admirable audacity that makes it of a piece with the rest of the studio's body of work. 

It may be accurate to view Cars as Pixar's opportunity to get all their juvenile tendencies out of their system (which I would buy a lot more than the popular "They need them to fund their better movies" argument). They are undeniably the dumbest movies they've put out from every creative standpoint, but there is still a perverse sense of thought and care being put into that idiocy. This utterly nonsensical world they've created provides the best sandbox for presenting all their broadest jokes for the world to see. 

I will give Cars credit for trying to add dramatic weight in the second half. While it's impossible for me to get past the inherent absurdity of the whole universe, I do find the Lighting/Doc/Sally arc engaging enough. I suppose this was where Cars 1 succeeded and Cars 2 didn't

Edited by tribefan695

McQueen is too much of a bad stereotype and his character arc bored me to tears. Should have focused more on the decadent town aspect and its lovable residents, that's where the real heart of the movie was. 55/100

90/100 (A-)

McQueen is a problematic little fucker in the beginning but as the movie proceeds, you learn to love him, the other characters, and Radiator Springs. And that credits sequence was brilliant with them spoofing the other Pixar movies. 

• Like 1

The Cars-films are some of those Pixar that I defend to a certain extent.....and this first one is no exception.

The characters are enjoyable & memorable. Especially Lightning McQueen & Mater. I thought Paul Newman's voice performance as Doc Hudson is very genuine and strong....considering it was one of his last films before he died.

All in all.....a very pleasant Pixar-film.

A

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34