baumer

Tues Numbers RTH (NYD and Cheap Tues make for big bump)

Great increase for Hobbit. If it follows the average trend of NT2/IaL/FOTR it's in for a sub-40% drop this coming weekend easily, potentially sub-35%.

No. It`s about time TH starts dropping heavily and losing theaters. FOTR is much better movie so I don`t want TH to pass unadjusted FOTR. I really don`t get repeat business for TH. It`s an OK movie but there`s nothing in it to watch over and over again. I asked fanboys to enlighten me what make them watch over and over and still haven`t gotten a well-explained answer that is void of generic "because it`s awesome". I`d really like to know cause this baffles me.

No. It`s about time TH starts dropping heavily and losing theaters. FOTR is much better movie so I don`t want TH to pass unadjusted FOTR. I really don`t get repeat business for TH. It`s an OK movie but there`s nothing in it to watch over and over again. I asked fanboys to enlighten me what make them watch over and over and still haven`t gotten a well-explained answer that is void of generic "because it`s awesome". I`d really like to know cause this baffles me.

A buddy of mine saw it over the holidays. He is a classic example of a LOTR loonie. He loved it. When I asked him what he loved about it and if he even liked the first 45 minutes, he said, "Yea, the beginning was tedious and the eating and singing was bad and it really bored me, but once they got out of the Shire, it was fucking awesome. Non stop action and that's what I liked."So there you go. I guess the loonies are easy to please.
  • Like 3

A buddy of mine saw it over the holidays. He is a classic example of a LOTR loonie. He loved it. When I asked him what he loved about it and if he even liked the first 45 minutes, he said, "Yea, the beginning was tedious and the eating and singing was bad and it really bored me, but once they got out of the Shire, it was fucking awesome. Non stop action and that's what I liked."So there you go. I guess the loonies are easy to please.

Yeha, it must be easy-to-please factor because humor was unfunny. I watched the movie with different age groups and even kids were left cold. Only Gollum and Bilbo exchange got some chuckles. But the slapstick parts, Radagast and mashrooms line fell flat with a thud. So that leaves non-stop action that wasn`t exciting because it was obvious nobody wa sin any danger and Gandalf Ex Machina was oversued so many times you knew he`d do it again. So predictability ahoy. Now what baffles me is that LOTR is supposedly loved and held in high regard for its character moments. This thing barely had any. So I`m really confused. Edited by fishnets

The Hobbit isn't going to lose that many theaters this weekend. Only Texas Chainsaw opens and we don't know how wide Impossible and Promised Land will go, but I suspect not that wide. I am Legend gained 12 theaters in this weekend, NT2 lost 70 (and in that 2007 weekend like this 2013 one there was a horror opener and two wide expansions). Considering how well Hobbit is doing in raw box office receipts it's far more likely theaters will continue to shed Skyfall, Guardians, Pi, BD2, etc instead.NT2/IaL/FOTR all dropped 40-43% January 4-6 weekend and based on an average of their dailies you get this for Hobbit:Wednesday 4.385 (-53.6%)Thursday- 3.639 (-17%)Friday- 6.554 (+80.1%)Saturday- 9.156 (+39.7%)Sunday- 5.219 (-43%)Weekend- 20.929 (-34.52%)

Well, I don't get it either, but at least that is the explanation I got and it seems to echo a lot of what you read on imdb. There are obviously a lot of people who really like it.

NT2/IaL/FOTR all dropped 40-43% January 4-6 weekend and based on an average of their dailies you get this for Hobbit:Wednesday 4.385 (-53.6%)Thursday- 3.639 (-17%)Friday- 6.554 (+80.1%)Saturday- 9.156 (+39.7%)Sunday- 5.219 (-43%)Weekend- 20.929 (-34.52%)

That would be great for Hobbit. It strikes me as too optimistic, though. Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

The Hobbit isn't going to lose that many theaters this weekend. Only Texas Chainsaw opens and we don't know how wide Impossible and Promised Land will go, but I suspect not that wide. I am Legend gained 12 theaters in this weekend, NT2 lost 70 (and in that 2007 weekend like this 2013 one there was a horror opener and two wide expansions). Considering how well Hobbit is doing in raw box office receipts it's far more likely theaters will continue to shed Skyfall, Guardians, Pi, BD2, etc instead.NT2/IaL/FOTR all dropped 40-43% January 4-6 weekend and based on an average of their dailies you get this for Hobbit:Wednesday 4.385 (-53.6%)Thursday- 3.639 (-17%)Friday- 6.554 (+80.1%)Saturday- 9.156 (+39.7%)Sunday- 5.219 (-43%)Weekend- 20.929 (-34.52%)

Wednesday drop will be bigger because 2012 Tuesday was inflated whereas 2007 Tuesday was not.I expect Wednesday around 4m or slightly below.

Well, I don't get it either, but at least that is the explanation I got and it seems to echo a lot of what you read on imdb. There are obviously a lot of people who really like it.

Their precious Armitage (Thorin) won`t break out. And that punk is a poster for easy-to-please cuase he`s the lamest of the brooding warrior cliches and yet fanboys really dig the character although he isn`t even among better within the franchise (Boromir and Aragorn kick his ass). His perforemnce wa snothing to write home about and he looks like Gerard Butler on a diet. generic crap.

Wednesday drop will be bigger because 2012 Tuesday was inflated whereas 2007 Tuesday was not.I expect Wednesday around 4m or slightly below.

2002 and 2007 Tuesday was New Year's Day. FOTR increased 28% on its NYD. I am Legend increased 39.7% on that Tuesday (pretty much the exact same increase as Hobbit) and then it dropped a shade over 50% on Wednesday. Edited by 4815162342

That would be great for Hobbit. It strikes me as too optimistic, though.

It has the best drop if it follows IaL dailies, only 31.14%. FOTR dailies put it at a 33.37% drop, NT2 dailies at a 38.32% drop.

It's not different than me going "what in the hell was so great about Avengers? I guess they are easy to please..."

Charisma, great chemistry between the cast, humor that actually works, great internal relationships and character moments,real stakes. On top of a pretty decent action. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1