grim22

Movie trailers premiering during SuperBowl 2013

As exciting as these are for movie fans, I've really started to question the value of advertising huge profile movies at $5-7.5 million per minute over the last few years. Studios can spend the money more effectively somewhere else. Not surprised that WB is sitting this out after doing so with TDK, Inception, Potter and TDKR. Good on them for not wasting the money.

Over 100M people watch SB. I understand why studios pay for it and just look at TA. It massively helped build the buzz for it last year as it had the best spot.

As exciting as these are for movie fans, I've really started to question the value of advertising huge profile movies at $5-7.5 million per minute over the last few years. Studios can spend the money more effectively somewhere else. Not surprised that WB is sitting this out after doing so with TDK, Inception, Potter and TDKR. Good on them for not wasting the money.

I think it helps if you haven't started your campaign at all (like Fast Six and the recent TF movies) or when you have new absolutely kick ass footage to unveil (Avengers last year and the TF movies again come to mind)

I think it helps if you haven't started your campaign at all (like Fast Six and the recent TF movies) or when you have new absolutely kick ass footage to unveil (Avengers last year and the TF movies again come to mind)

Yeah, but there are far cheaper ways of showing that off that will still get the message out, especially since everything's on the internet now.

Maybe someone in the know can answer this: Is there some kind of revenue stream beyond box office receipts that a Super Bowl ad generates for a studio? I mean, everyone will be showing hundreds of ads for their films in the month leading up to release anyway, so I'm not really seeing the point in spending millions of dollars for 30-45 seconds to hype your movie up to six months before people are actually able to pay to see it. No one I know makes a final decision on whether they're going to see a movie or not that long in advance. Is it just because it might raise the stock price temporarily?

Edited by tribefan695

Yeah, due to an actors death, it can hardly be used as an example

I seriously doubt that factor alone convinced three times as many people to see it opening weekend, but whatever. What about the other Marvel films? They all (I think) had Super Bowl ads and didn't gross nearly as much as The Avengers. There are so many variables that can affect a movie's success that one ad doesn't make much of a difference.

Avatar wasn't promoted at all until about four months before release. Yeah, I know about the James Cameron factor and the huge marketing blitz in the final month and a half but that just supports my point that one ad probably isn't worth the money studios pay here.

Edited by tribefan695

But what about the other Marvel films? They all (I think) had Super Bowl ads and didn't gross nearly as much as The Avengers. There are so many variables that can affect a movie's success that one ad doesn't make much of a difference.

Avatar wasn't promoted at all until about four months before release. Yeah, I know about the James Cameron factor and the huge marketing blitz in the final month and a half but that just supports my point that one ad probably isn't worth the money studios pay here.

the other Marvel movies didn't have ads as bad ass looking as the Avengers one. It isn't just the ad I'd say, you have to have one that makes an impression

the other Marvel movies didn't have ads as bad ass looking as the Avengers one. It isn't just the ad I'd say, you have to have one that makes an impression

I don't buy that that one ad was so much more badass than all the others that it convinced twice as many people to see it. 

The exposure the Super Bowl gives literally everything it touches makes it worth the money. It isn't about convincing the public in one shot, it's about gaining attention. If you factor in bars and stuff like that, about 150 million Americans watch the game. That's at least 3/4 of the regular movie going public.

But what's the point of getting all that attention if you're not making money off it? With Warner sitting out there's obviously some doubt among the studio execs about it.

Then you might as well ask, what's the point of having teaser trailers then? It's supposed to give leeway for the rest of the campaign.

• Like 1

After some googling, here are the movies that will have commercials at this year's SB:

Universal - Oblivion (TV spot)

Universal - FF6 (short trailer)

Disney - IM3 (a 60s trailer and a 30s TV spot) [source: Via Disney]

Disney - The Lone Ranger (90s  trailer) [source: Via Disney]

Disney - OZ (30s TV spot) [source: Via Disney]

Paramount - STID (30s TV spot / there will also be a Japanese version trailer around that time on the net)

WB / Sony / FOX dont have any commercials this year.

Refers:

http://www.cabletvdepot.com/blog/super-bowl-2013-commercials

http://www.superbowl-commercials.org/17911.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/187903331.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/2013-super-bowl-ads-everything-we-know-2012-12?op=1

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1