Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Missing the BD is not that important anyways. The most important thing here is what is thinking the actor's branch. They're clearly falling in love for Lincoln and SLP. Pi didn't manage a single acting nom (it was never expected, though). How many films without an acting nom have won the BP race? Braveheart is the latest example I can recall.

You guys are jumping on the gun too quickly. SLP is a frontrunner now? Nope. It's the runner-up at the moment. It's a frikkin Weinstein film, so can't say it won't win, can be a threat but at this point it's pretty much locked up for Lincoln. SLP can upset in best adapted screenplay and maybe best supporting, but other than that I can see a Lincoln sweep coming. 8 noms is great, but unless my maths got horrible bad 12 is a bit more..

Edited by Alfred Unchained

Life of Pi will be this years The Color Purple. It has a ton of nominations but only four that really matter, the rest are technicals. To me the race now is Lincoln vs SLP. I don't know when the last time a film had a best picture, director, actor, actress, supp actor, supp actress, editing and screenplay. That's as major as it comes. No film has that this year. So imho, this makes it the front runner. I think if anything, Spielberg is the frontrunner for director even though, imo, he doesn't deserve it this year. But he went lost three or four times in the past when he should have won, so it's karma. I think Cooper will win it this year. He is that good.

The snubs:

Affleck not getting one is the biggest WTF snub for directing since Spielberg missed out on JAWS. It is an absolute travesty. Argo is one of three best films of the year imo and there really should be some hell raised for this.

Hooper, glad he missed out.

Bigelow doesn't bother me either. But she did an excellent job on ZDT.

DiCaprio and SLJ not getting nominated is too bad. I really want to see The Master but it is not playing here anymore.

Glad TDKR and Skyfall missed out on noms.

Perks not getting any noms is ridiculous.

Flight getting original is ludicrous in my opinion as well.

I think this year will be the year of SLP. I just do. I really thought Argo would have more traction but not getting a director nomination is ridiculous. I'm very sad about this.

But Snow White did?

SLP is not the front-runner. Lincoln has the pedigree, the box office, the content, and the narrative. It has the most nominations. The only time since 2000 that the film with the most or 2nd most nominations didn't win was when The Departed won.SLP is not The Departed.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Lincoln vs. SLP, advantage Lincoln. Argo went from the arguable frontrunner to a longshot. Woah.

I really think SLP is the frontrunner. I know Lincoln is the much sexier pick, but I really think SLP is going to take it this year.
  • Like 1

Missing the BD is not that important anyways. The most important thing here is what is thinking the actor's branch. They're clearly falling in love for Lincoln and SLP. Pi didn't manage a single acting nom (it was never expected, though). How many films without an acting nom have won the BP race? Braveheart is the latest example I can recall.

And Last BP win with no BD nom was Driving Miss Daisy I believe so even longer ago. And Slumdog WOM with no acting noms. Edited by riczhang

No best supporting actress. I know it didn't have one but that's besides the point. Can you find me the last time a film had noms in all four acting categories, screenplay, directing and picture?

I will do my research. Right now, I cant recall any recent film doing this

LoP won't win. It's too technical supportted. No acting. It's SLP vs. Lincoln. Hopefully SLP wins, I can live with SLP.

Probably true but this day showed us, you never know. BD race is the one I'm most interested in. Russell, Lee and Spielberg.

You guys are jumping on the gun too quickly. SLP is a frontrunner now? Nope. It's the runner-up at the moment. It's a frikkin Weinstein film, so can't say it won't win, can be a threat but at this point it's pretty much locked up for Lincoln. SLP can upset in best adapted screenplay and maybe best supporting, but other than that I can see a Lincoln sweep coming. 8 noms is great, but unless my maths got horrible bad 12 is a bit more..

The other 4 noms are not major ones and being a historical drama it more of na opportunity for things like costumes. How do you give a nomination for something like costume when all you have to do on SLP is dress normally?SLP is the frontrunner with a nomination in every major category.
  • Like 1