Neo

Geostorm | 10.20.2017 | Dean Devlin directs. Gerard Butler, Andy Garcia. The world ends in IMAX 3D. New even more ridiculous and more awesome trailer on page 25

8 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

Anyone else wishing for a catstrophe-movie that is really all catastrophe and not one that turns into the cringe-worthy "Loved ones finding each other again" for the bigger part of the movie?

You are probably in a tiny minority, a feature length movie that is all catastrophe seem a bit too repetitive.

I guess Gravity would be not to far to that and it need that level of quality/ingeniousity in the catastrophe to work and still a little bit of something else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

Anyone else wishing for a catstrophe-movie that is really all catastrophe and not one that turns into the cringe-worthy "Loved ones finding each other again" for the bigger part of the movie?

What would that even entail? Even documentaries about real catastrophes always aim for some sort of human-interest grounding. It's the best way to immerse your audience. If you just want footage of homes getting destroyed by floods and tornadoes you can find that on YouTube; but I suspect if it were all you watched for 2 hours it would just become monotonous and depressing.

But that being said I'm fully expecting this to suck.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

What would that even entail? Even documentaries about real catastrophes always aim for some sort of human-interest grounding. It's the best way to immerse your audience. If you just want footage of homes getting destroyed by floods and tornadoes you can find that on YouTube; but I suspect if it were all you watched for 2 hours it would just become monotonous and depressing.

But that being said I'm fully expecting this to suck.

Actually that is not what I meant but I also did not make myself very clearly. I just think that many catstrophe movies could be much more fascinating if they focused more on how "the world" and the "people" deal with it. That is always part of these movies... but somehow it always feels more like a romance somehow woven into the disaster and not the other way round. AH, I am not good in articulating this :D

• Like 1

Honestly, I just need more than storm systems and natural disasters to capture my interest. 

Forget characters that I give a shit about. The difference between a CGI storm and a CGI animal is that one has personality while the other does not.

This isn't my kind of movie. The closest thing to decent was 2012, and I still found it to be a dull experience. Dean Devlin is going to end up with egg on his face when if this gets swamped by other films in October.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Honestly, I just need more than storm systems and natural disasters to capture my interest. 

Forget characters that I give a shit about. The difference between a CGI storm and a CGI animal is that one has personality while the other does not.

This isn't my kind of movie. The closest thing to decent was 2012, and I still found it to be a dull experience. Dean Devlin is going to end up with egg on his face when if this gets swamped by other films in October.

Yawn, a "2012" clone. It takes more then the world being destroyed to have a big hit nowdays. It has reached the point of "If you don't like this week's apoaclpytic destruction epic, just wait for next weeks".

How much did they spend on this? "San Andreas" made money because they kept a tight rein on the budget,and it had a box office draw in the lead.

Gerard Butler is not a box office draw. He has a small fanatical fanbase, but he is not a draw.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:16 AM, ShouldIBeHere said:

I always wanted a disaster movie that would use the Orson Welles "War Of The Worlds" radio  broadcast  technique in an updated manner.: Make the whole thing a news channel broadcast  covering the apocalypse.

• Like 2

Why does the plane look so damn grainy when it's falling out the sky? It looks like how the Titanic did when it was at the bottom of the ocean floor. It just looks like a big CGI mess to me. 

This film has bomb written all over it. 

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why does the plane look so damn grainy when it's falling out the sky? It looks like how the Titanic did when it was at the bottom of the ocean floor. It just looks like a big CGI mess to me. 

This film has bomb written all over it. 

I thought it looked grainy because it was covered in ice...? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

First Planet of the Apes and now this?  Damn, you have shitty opinions :ph34r: 

So do you :ph34r:

But yeah, this looks pretty bad and generic as all hell. Apes at least will probably be a good movie even if the trailers make it look like a rehash of Dawn

37 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

But yeah, this looks pretty bad and generic as all hell. 

What's generic about it? Yeah there's a giant wave for the nth time, but then theres that frozen A380, the lightning storms, Prius-sized hail, the fire tornadoes, and the world scale destruction - that doesnt involve aliens. This looks like TDAT on meth. I don't know, maybe it's because I just love weather, but I think this is very promising.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 2