Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

You are predicting a Screenplay winning for a film that has yet to be seen? :rolleyes:Curiously 13 Oscars go to already released films... LLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL

LOL at everyone predicting locked winners before we even know how three possible contenders are. And how other three already praised films do with GA. Only because last year we had an October release winning does not mean we will have it again. HISTORY LESSONLast 25 years, 9 winners opened in December; 6 winners opened in November (most of them limited release before going wide in December)Only 2 October films have got the gold. Argo and The Departed.Some amazingly received October films that got not recognition in the last 20 years (the years I've been following Oscars): The Social Network; Sideways; Mystic River; Training Day; Mulholland Drive; Billy Elliot; Requiem for a dream; Three Kings; Being John Malkovich; Life is Beautiful; American History X; Pleasantville; Boogie Nights; Gattaca; Sleepers; Leaving Las Vegas; Pulp Fiction; Bullets over Broadway...I've bolded the films that were called early frontrunners. Sideways and many others didn't even get a nom. Pulp Fiction and Life is Beautiful had to fight against previously released contenders Forrest Gump & Saving Private Ryan. Heh! Even SPR and LIB lost against a weaker (but hotter at nominations time) December film.

The Oscars are serious business...
  • Like 1

No need to be a dick about it.

A dick?

So I can't express what I think it's wrong? Have nothing against you but you did what some here have been doing this days.

Using your predictions as an example, I only stated that to make winner predictions is ridiculously bold at this point.

LOL at everyone predicting locked winners before we even know how three possible contenders are. And how other three already praised films do with GA. Only because last year we had an October release winning does not mean we will have it again. 

HISTORY LESSON

Last 25 years, 9 winners opened in December; 6 winners opened in November (most of them limited release before going wide in December)

Only 2 October films have got the gold. Argo and The Departed.

Some amazingly received October films that got not recognition in the last 20 years (the years I've been following Oscars): The Social Network; Sideways; Mystic River; Training Day; Mulholland Drive; Billy Elliot; Requiem for a dream; Three Kings; Being John Malkovich; Life is Beautiful; American History X; Pleasantville; Boogie Nights; Gattaca; Sleepers; Leaving Las Vegas; Pulp Fiction; Bullets over Broadway...

I've bolded the films that were called early frontrunners. Sideways and many others didn't even get a nom. Pulp Fiction and Life is Beautiful had to fight against previously released contenders Forrest Gump & Saving Private Ryan. Heh! Even SPR and LIB lost against a weaker (but hotter at nominations time) December film.

Some years are easier to predict than other years. The Artist was the frontrunner since like August even though it got released much later. A lot of films get shown at film festivals and build buzz months in advance, even if they are released in November or December.

While you might be right, the buzz for 12YAS is astronomical. Its chances of winning are very strong at this point. Now, things do change, but at this moment unless a miracle happens and some other film blows us away, 12YAS is taking the gold.

A dick?

So I can't express what I think it's wrong? Have nothing against you but you did what some here have been doing this days.

Using your predictions as an example, I only stated that to make winner predictions is ridiculously bold at this point.

LLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL  :rolleyes: 

Your resident Oscar guru thinks that Jack's predictions are pretty damn good and anyone who thinks otherwise can fuck off. Let's be honest here. There's no Oscar fun without predicting winners early on. No need to be a Scrooge about it. And yeah, GO DENCH GO! Get it girl.

• Like 1

Best picture: 12 Years a Slave

Best director: Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave

Best actor: Chiwetel Eijiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Best actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Best supporting actor: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best supporting actress: Oprah Winfrey, The Butler

Best original screenplay: American Hustle

Best adapted screenplay: 12 Years a Slave

Best original score: 12 Years a Slave

Best cinematography: Gravity

Best film editing: Captain Phillips

Best art direction: 12 Years a Slave

Best costumes: The Great Gatsby

Best makeup: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Best visual effects: Gravity

Best sound mixing: Gravity

Best sound editing: Gravity

Best original song: The Great Gatsby

Best animated feature: Frozen

Great Gatsby's not beating "Let it Go" 

well i'm bummed seems captain philips is gone from my theater thanks to "bla" fire  coming out this weekend 

gahhh i just wanna see 12YAS so i can make up my mind as to whether i love it madly or not , right now all i can say is i love the trailer madly 

but we all know trailer are trickster by nature!

all i've seen so far is the butler and i've just about completely forgotten about it 

My Oscars [these are my personal opinions on what ive seen that should be nominated and not what I think the Oscars will choose to nominate]. I have kept the choices realistic so even though DM2 is one of my 3 favourite films this year, it will not get a best picture nomination. The choices in the categories are in order from best to least best. Films I have yet to seen that can make an impact: Frozen, August: Osage County, Last Vegas, 12 Years A Slave, Her, Hobbit 2

Best Picture

Gravity

Lee Daniel's The Butler

Saving Mr Banks

Prisoners

Captain Philips

Philomena

The Great Gatsby

Monsters University

Catching Fire [can't think of anything else]

Best Actor

Tom Hanks- Captain Philips

George Clooney- Gravity [moved him up here as cannot think of anyone else for best actor]

Forest Whittaker- The Butler

Hugh Jackman- Prisoners

Leonardo Di Caprio- The Great Gatsby

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock- Gravity [tie]

Emma Thompson- Saving Mr Banks [tie]

Rachel McAdams- About Time

Jennifer Lawrence- Catching Fire

Judi Dench- Philomena

Best Supporting Actor

Steve Coogan- Philomena

Tom Hanks- Saving Mr Banks

David Oweyolo- The Butler

Barkhad Abdi- Captain Philips

Colin Farrell- Saving Mr Banks

Best Supporting Actress

Oprah Winfrey- The Butler

Isla Fisher- The Great Gatsby

Ruth Wilson- Saving Mr Banks

Melanie Paxson- Saving Mr Banks

Alexandra Roach- One Chance

Your resident Oscar guru thinks that Jack's predictions are pretty damn good and anyone who thinks otherwise can fuck off. Let's be honest here. There's no Oscar fun without predicting winners early on. No need to be a Scrooge about it. And yeah, GO DENCH GO! Get it girl.

Is Dench your 2013 version of the lady from Amour? Chiquita Rivera or something? Edited by DAR

And yeah, GO DENCH GO! Get it girl.

:D she approves!

Posted Image

well i'm bummed seems captain philips is gone from my theater thanks to "bla" fire  coming out this weekend 

gahhh i just wanna see 12YAS so i can make up my mind as to whether i love it madly or not , right now all i can say is i love the trailer madly 

but we all know trailer are trickster by nature!

all i've seen so far is the butler and i've just about completely forgotten about it 

Cap Phillips is finally releaseed here on Dec 12.

super excited

I'm kind of disappointed with the current run of All is lost, Nebraska, Philomena and 12 years a slave. The PTA they've got is not very strong for them.

Hopefully, the GA interest will increase once the awards season begin

I'm gonna make a prediction now just before the critic awards start. Will maybe make another one at the end of the month to see how it goes.

I'm saying nine nominees just like the last couple years.

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Gravity

Inside Llewyn Davis

Nebraska

Philomena

Saving Mr. Banks

12 Years A Slave

Wolf of Wall Street

#10 is The Butler or Blue Jasmine for me. I feel like one of those summer movies is gonna be there, but idk.