Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

UpdatedPole position12 years a slave - frontrunner but it's not the clear winnerGravity - it's the BO smash Oscars like to recognizeCaptain Phillips - strong candidate. I can't see any weak point against its chancesAmerican Hustle - hype peaked at the right moment. Could challenge for the goldSecond lineWolf of Wall Street - finally, we have real hype with a film that seems to meet the high expectationsPhilomena - it needs more GA heat, but Weinstein is behind it, so...Saving Mr Banks - great hype, cast, plot, and release date... Many things are on its favorAll is lost - after a lot of great films the buzz is still here. Redford pedigree will helpThird lineHer - early word is excellent. Jonze. Phoenix. But too weird for Academy?Inside Llewyn Davies - lots of good words, but is anyone really loving enough this film?Nebraska - beting against Payne is like a risky move, but besides the actors, is this really strong enoigh?The Butler - loosing ground, but still could returnBlue Jasmine - Allen has a legion of fans in Hollywood. But Match point did not get a BP nom...Can't see any other film gaining enough traction to get in

• Like 1

After watching Frozen, I think it should get one of the noms for BP and easily win Oscar for best animation. It's the same quality as TLK and Aladdin. 

I loved the film too, but it ain't happening. Reviews aren't good enough and I imagine years without a worthy animated contender have soured the voters on the medium.

Frozen's benefiting from a weak slate this year. It probably would've been completely shut out of 2010's nominees just like Tangled.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

LOL

Would you say the same if 12 years was the film chosen? Fact: 12 years a slave is not the only strong candidate this year. And I'm glad it's not.

Funny, because some were already calling 12YAS the obvious BP winner in March.

Right now, AH, 12YAS are slightly ahead of the rest, but Saving Mr Banks, Inside Llewyn, WOWS, or Philomena could still sneak in.

What do AH and Argo have in common? I don't get the comparison.

Movie set in the 70s, based on real life events, drama/thriller with some major doses of comedy, generally energetic and vibrant tone, lead actor has a very odd hairstyle, etc.

• Like 1

LOL

Would you say the same if 12 years was the film chosen? Fact: 12 years a slave is not the only strong candidate this year. And I'm glad it's not.

Right now, AH, 12YAS are slightly ahead of the rest, but Saving Mr Banks, Inside Llewyn, WOWS, or Philomena could still sneak in.

12YAS is still a strong candidate and it was only declared the frontrunner in late August.

Philomena has no chance.

12 Years A Slave
American Hustler
Captain Phillips 
Fruitvale Station 
Gravity
Her
Philomena
Saving Mr. Banks
The Wolf of Wall Street

if they go for 10 then Inside Llewyn Davies or Nebraska will sneak in, but both will more likely to be recognized for writing and acting.

Edited by Alfred Beyond The Pines
  • Like 2

No one was calling 12 Years a Slave the obvious BP winner. Everyone thought it'd be zero emotion and all brutality which would cause it to be shut out from the Academy