ChD

Weekend Estimates (WB $19.5M, SLP $8.1M, BTTH $4.5M, SUG $1.5M)

It's certainly weird seeing back-to-back-to-back action movies anchored by stars who are well past their prime in terms of critical and commercial appeal all make the same 6-7m opening weekend at the box office. 

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that we're getting a LOT more PG-13 fare in January 2014. This last month was a scheduling nightmare. 

• Like 1

He is blaming Americans but it isn't like TLS, parker and Bullet are going to make much from the overseas markets either. People have moved on from the generic action flicks everywhere.

I think you could easily replace generic with geriatric and be just as accurate. Posted Image

• Like 4

It's certainly weird seeing back-to-back-to-back action movies anchored by stars who are well past their prime in terms of critical and commercial appeal all make the same 6-7m opening weekend at the box office. 

Same story for Statham too, except his movies never made money in the first place, so its pretty much in the low part of his usual range.

On the other hand, after Schwarzenegger, Stallone, and Statham all bomb, Bruce Willis is going to show up and put them all to shame. Not that he's that much more beloved than other action stars (Bruce has certainly had his share of bombs), but because he's bringing back a franchise and a character that people want to see more of.

It may cost a little more money to film a Die Hard movie than it cost to make The Last Stand or BTTH, but the message is clear:

Go big or go home!

It doesn't even have to be a familiar franchise. Something like Oblivion with Tom Cruise. Make it look good, and make it look big, and people will show up.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that we're getting a LOT more PG-13 fare in January 2014. This last month was a scheduling nightmare. 

The glut of R movies has been ridiculous. I'm obviously more than old enough to see R-rated movies, but even I don't like the current trend because I don't want to see the box office suffer.

On the other hand, one nice thing about the glut of recent releases is that I find myself going to the movies and trying to decide which I want to see from a wealth of good choices.

On Tuesday this week I saw 2 movies!

Hooray for me!

So happy about that Warm Bodies number. I had a feeling it could do $25-30 million but being Superbowl weekend and the weaksauce that was most of January I went for more modest predictions. Definitely one of the most fun films in months and I hope it holds really well through the month.

Very happy for Warm Bodies, what a grand number. Can't wait to see it tomorrow night. Also, I cannot think of a single reason on the entire planet anybody besides Algren would want to see Bullet to the Head. Just looks awful.

• Like 1

Very happy for Warm Bodies, what a grand number. Can't wait to see it tomorrow night. Also, I cannot think of a single reason on the entire planet anybody besides Algren would want to see Bullet to the Head. Just looks awful.

There's a 50/50 chance that I might go see it on discount Tuesday. I enjoy action flicks. It's at 48% on rottentomatoes after 91 reviews, so it couldn't be that bad.

There's a 50/50 chance that I might go see it on discount Tuesday. I enjoy action flicks. It's at 48% on rottentomatoes after 91 reviews, so it couldn't be that bad.

I like action films too, I can't wait for something like Die Hard. But BTTH looked like a Direct to DVD movie. Maybe it's because I've always loathed Stallone (Arnie's films are just better). Then again, I wanted to see Haunted House for a time too, and everybody told me that looked stupid, so enjoy it!

Once again, I haven't seen it, but it's at 48%. It must be entertaining enough to a lot of folks. Of course, I've enjoyed movies that are rated much lower than that.

As for Haunted House, I haven't seen it and the odds are obviously getting lower day by day. But there's nothing wrong with laughing at dumb jokes some times.