Neo

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch | Nov. 9 2018

At least that's not as big an opening weekend as some of the company's other films. I'm sure the film will have family audience legs, but if this film's performance makes the company happy while also giving them no hard feelings as Warner Bros does more Dr. Seuss films, then I think that's a fine scenario in its own right.

• Like 1

November 2000, when  the Jim Carrey Grinch movie opened was also the month oif the Bush/Gore contested election in FLorida.

Noe in November 2018 a Grinch movie opens and we have another contested election  in Florida.

Meaningless but amusing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

November 2000, when  the Jim Carrey Grinch movie opened was also the month oif the Bush/Gore contested election in FLorida.

Noe in November 2018 a Grinch movie opens and we have another contested election  in Florida.

Meaningless but amusing.

How the Grinch stole the Votes.

• Like 1

so is this movie boring at all?

The previews show Grinch teaming up w/ people to steal Xmas w/ a cheesy floating camera following them around.

Is this irritating for the kids who want to see Grinch on a solo run w/ new blueprints to steal Christmas?

Or is everyone following the humor positively?

Terminator Genisys got a lot of laughs in appropriate places when Schwarzenegger would smile, I thought it was a kids movie

Edited by gravestonedt

I’m not a fan of Illumination Animated films but I’m a real sucker for Christmas...

And in that regard The Grinch does not disappoint. 

The animation and colors depicting Whoville at Christmas time is beautiful to look at; and I enjoyed the Christmas Carols that were sprinkled throughout. When viewing a Christmas movie I want it to put me in Christmas spirit and The Grinch got that accomplished- which is all I can ask for.

This version was definitely aimed towards the younger kids and actually made me appreciate the 2000 version a lot more.

Its not easy (and honestly was never neccessary) to draw out a book/22 minute Christmas special into a full length film, though the route the 2000 film chose to take with giving the Grinch a deeper back story and a more developed Cindy Lou Who is much more interesting and enjoyable to watch than what this new film offers which is very thin on any extra plot that will garner any interested attention.

There was also something off with the new film with the narrator given what appears a new rhyme story script that didn’t seem to have that famous ‘Suess’ rhythm- which was a shame (if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it). The 2000 version pretty much sticks to the story/classic original animated rhyming script which is what people who are watching a Grinch film are expecting.

Of course nothing will beat the original animated classic or simply reading the book... Though I’d still recommend this new film because at its core it’s still a solid Christmas story that is perfect for this time of year that’ll put the audience in the Christmas spirit- even if it’s clearly not the best version that’s out there.

$230 million should be the floor for this because of that...

• Like 1

I have to give it Illimunation: THey can make a mediocre at best film and market it into a big hit.

For me, the whole idea of Cindy Lou Who turning into a juvenile delinquent is so just  wrong that I will probably never see this.

• ...wtf 1