Impact

Best supporting actress-2013

Oprah is good in The Butler but it's nowhere near an Academy Award winning performance. If this year is strong for supporting characters then she could easily miss out on a nomination.

I liked Oprah in The Butler but it was more for her lines (qué sera sera) than the performance being so brilliant. But Oprah has a lot of friends in Hollywood and The Butler has been a box office hit, so that might be enough. But you're right, every year is different. How many leading men probably want their films to move to 2014 so they won't get lost in the Best Actor bloodbath?

• Like 1

I liked Oprah in The Butler but it was more for her lines (qué sera sera) than the performance being so brilliant. But Oprah has a lot of friends in Hollywood and The Butler has been a box office hit, so that might be enough. But you're right, every year is different. How many leading men probably want their films to move to 2014 so they won't get lost in the Best Actor bloodbath?

havent seen TB (probs wont be released here :( ) but Oprah nom seems like the kinda one based on popularity

Sally Hawkins for Blue Jasmine, maybe? 

nah

they snubbed her 4 'Happy go lucky'  :angry: so i have no hopes for her being awarded by the academy

Bafta on the other hand :wub:

Edited by Leyla

Having just seen Nebraska, I think June Squibb has a very nice shot at a nomination. Hers is the most easily likable character in the movie, hilarious, endearing and very no-nonsense, sometimes in a pretty attention-grabbing way (in one scene,

she lifts her skirt up in front of a grave, and in another, tells a whole bunch of people "go fuck yourselves"

), and she owns all of her scenes without stealing the movie from Dern and Forte. In a year like this, it's probably too quiet a film to earn Picture, Actor (or Supporting Actor) and Screenplay nominations - although it's a really good film - but Squibb could easily take advantage of her category being little more than a wasteland at this point. 

• Like 1

if they didn't go with Andy Serkis who actually performed so it would be super unfair& I'm a huge supporter of 'Her' but Scarlett's nom would be ridic  :sadno: If she's in contention then lets nominate voice work in cartoons

Edited by Leyla

if they didn't go with Andy Serkis who actually performed so it would be super unfair& I'm a huge supporter of 'Her' but Scarlett's nom would be ridic  :sadno: If she's in contention then lets nominate voice work in cartoons

Don't worry, it is just those lame Oscar pundits, who are bored out of their minds, so they try to make  stupid things happen to spice up the race.