Impact

Best Director-2013

1. Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

2. Steven McQueen - 12 Years a Slave

3. Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street

4. Joel and Ethan Coen - Inside Llewyn Davis

5. Spike Jonze - Her 

And yes. No O. Russell or Greengrass. 

Odd, I was sure that was in like january this year. Time flies.

Thats my face listening to Tarantino too btw

I think that's everyone's face. He's got an offputting quality to him. 

And I don't remember Haneke on the Writer's roundtable last year. Was he?

5. Spike Jonze - Her 

I was tempted to leave them off, but I'm playing it safe.  After last year it wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

5. Spike Jonze - Her 

Jonze is a maybe, but the Coens... The film isn't getting enough traction, IMHO. Payne is a stronger candidate

Jonze is a maybe, but the Coens... The film isn't getting enough traction, IMHO. Payne is a stronger candidate

I think what people don't realise is that there are only about 100-150 directors that actually vote on the nominations. (Roughly 300 ish members but I heard from someone that about only half vote on noms even with 100% turnout only 50-60 votes will secure a nome) This is probably the most elitist and least populist branch in the entire Academy. (Yes there are big names and populists but there are also people like Haneke, Fadhari and Schnabel) Affleck was snubbed partly because he's an actor and not seen as a director in the eyes of the AMPAS director's. There doesn't have to be apparent traction for a film when the membership is that small and has a more elevated taste. I mean Zeitlin? Did anyone see that coming? I think ILD is perfect Director fodder. Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Affleck was snubbed partly because he's an actor and not seen as a director in the eyes of the AMPAS director's. 

I'm gonna guess that wasn't a problem back in the day when they nominated Redford, Costner and Gibson (who all went on to actually win afterwards). 

Last year was a shocker, not a trend though

Trend starter more like. Academy moved noms up 1.5 weeks last year. DGA, the industry sheep herding device for director noms, announced with less than a day of voting left, after which most people have turned in ballots. The long standing sheep herding effect is greatly diminished. (though not as much as last year when DGA announced the day of the voting deadline)(Explain Schnabel or Malick or any of the other esoteric choices then.)

Trend starter more like. Academy moved noms up 1.5 weeks last year. DGA, the industry sheep herding device for director noms, announced with less than a day of voting left, after which most people have turned in ballots. The long standing sheep herding effect is greatly diminished. (though not as much as last year when DGA announced the day of the voting deadline)(Explain Schnabel or Malick or any of the other esoteric choices then.)

Schnabel's film wasn't a BP contender because there weren't 10 nominees. Malick received a lot of praise for this work. His nom wasn't a shock. In 2012, that lineup was expected. Who could've been nommed then? Bennett Miller?

Your statements aren't too solid. First, last year was a shocker because both Affleck and Bigelow where snubbed despite winning almost every precursor. The fact that DGA were only a day before does not change that fact. And second, O'Russell is already a beloved director for the elitist Academy voters (already has two noms) but you're saying that those guys will snub him because they usually go to prestige names, like Jonze (never nommed). The same with Greengrass: he has proven he can get enough traction to get a nom despite his film got only another nomination.

Of course there always is a chance that a film could be nominated for director without picture-Short Cuts comes to mind in 1992.

Edit: referring to if there were 10 noms of course.

Edited by Impact