The Movie Man

Favorite Moments from 2013 Oscars. Winners, Speeches, Acts, Presenters, Etc.

The 2013 Oscars were good because of Seth hosting but other than that and the opening number, including Captain Kirk, the rest of the show was one big bore. Who thought it was good to honour Chicago again? The first time was bad enough in but to do it again on this night? Why? Oh, that's right, the producers of Chicago produced this show. So they reminded us all again how terrible a film Chicago was. And then Dreamgirls....okay, wtf.Then you had some strange choices for presenting. John Travolta? Really? And then you have Seth McFarlane just silent about him? No massage jokes? Travolta being there was just weird.There were times last night when I really had no idea what the fuck I was watching. The academy president comes out and gives some speech and then Katzenberg shows up with four other guys with some award. Honestly, the hours was a big waste of time. Again, the only thing that kept it fresh was Seth and his humour. The best and funniest moment to me was him saying that Meryl Streep needs no introduction and then true to his word, he doesn't introduce her. I was howling.The Michelle Obama thing was dumb, I mean why do we need a first lady, or any politician for that matter, having anything to do with the show?The awards themselves, well, they were pretty predictable, but here's my recap for what it's worth.Waltz winning for best supp actor was fantastic. I liked his speech, he is classy and truly looks like he appreciates it all.Animated feature film...another Pixar win for Brave? I seriously doubt much of the academy sees any of the animated films so this win is just hogwash imo.How does a movie that is about 80% CGI win for best cinematography? Seriously, that makes no sense. Stupid win for LIP.Amour winning for foreign film was one of the locks of the night.Not really sure how you have a tie in any category, really. With all of the members voting, is it really possible that one film didn't have one more vote than the other? I think Bond should have taken this one on its own.Anne Hathaway was beautiful and classy when she took her award for best supp. She thanked everyone, paid her respects to the other nominees and was very genuine. One of the good wins of the night.Argo wining for best editing was the first time I said to myself that it would win best picture. Glad it won this one, very deserving.Chris Terio for best adapted screenplay was very nice. He seemed blown away by the win and was very humble in his acceptance. I really hoped SLP would have taken this one, but Argo is a great choice as well.QT winning best original screenplay was awesome. He comes across as a genuine guy but he also comes across as someone who really loves himself. I'm glad it won because it was a great piece of writing, but he just cracks me up.Ang Lee winning for directing is shit. Sorry, but it is. He should have gone up there and at least acknowledged Affleck, seeing as he won every possible pre-cursor to the oscars that you can. Lee might be a nice guy and all that jazz but he should not have won the best director. Even Affleck acknowledged Spielberg when he won best picture. This is my least deserving win of the night.As much as I think Riva deserved best actress, I'm thrilled Lawrence won it. She was brilliant in SLP and she is a class winner. Her falling up the steps will live in Oscar infamy but she is so likable and affable that no one really cares. She really seemed surprised and thrilled with the win and its a fantastic performance. Good on her.DDL's win for best actor wasn't surprising, his acceptance speech was. Filled with humour and some moments that might go down in history. His quip about Streep being the first choice to play Lincoln and he the first choice to play Thatcher was brilliant.Finally, best picture to Argo was awesome. I was so glad to see Ben up there and still talking a mile a minute. I really think he does Coke before he goes on stage, he has to lol. Grant Heslov's speech was really nice as well and he really set the stage for Affleck, who thanked pretty much everyone and every country. :)Overall some good wins, some bad ones but some really poor choices for oscar filler this year.See you next year.

• Like 1

My favorite things:

Jlaw wins!

Floppit completely flops!

Adele sings and wins!

Mark:"I`m a Catholic."

Ted:"Wrong answer, Did you know that my real name is Theodore Shapiro?"

Shitto lover wins jackshit!

QT speech!

Ben`s speech!

JLaw being OMG as adorable as ever!

• Like 1

Admit it baumer. The Oscars had you at the Jaws theme for when the speeches went to long.

Yea, that was cool. It would have been funny if Williams won best score and they Jawsed him off the stage.
  • Like 1

It was a borefest. Musical theme for what? Seth was good, but went quiet for a long spell and his jokes didn't land toward the end. It's a disgrace that Pi won 4 awards and Lincoln was overlooked. Riva should have won, I like JLaw, but that was nowhere near an Oscar winning performance, she was better in Winter's Bone. Cool to see Quentin winning, DDL gave a great speech as well.

Best Performance: Adele "Skyfall"

Best Acceptance Speeches:

[*]Daniel Day-Lewis, Actor [*]Ang Lee, Director [*]Tarantino, Original Screenplay

Most Gracious: Chris Terrio, Adapted Screenplay

Best Presenters: Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy

It was a borefest. Musical theme for what? Seth was good, but went quiet for a long spell and his jokes didn't land toward the end. It's a disgrace that Pi won 4 awards and Lincoln was overlooked. Riva should have won, I like JLaw, but that was nowhere near an Oscar winning performance, she was better in Winter's Bone. Cool to see Quentin winning, DDL gave a great speech as well.

If you think JLAWS performance isn't oscar worthy then I think you don't know film very well. You can think, like I do, that Riva should have won, but Jlaw's performance is unquestionably one of the best of the year.
  • Like 2

The show was very average.

I like Seth a lot and he's a great host on something like a Comedy Central roast but he didn't work at all last night. The opening was just plain strange. It's one of the few times where i've read one of Nikki's live snarks and thought she had it right. There was a song about boobs sung by a gay mens choir. Who sat there and thought it would be a good idea at the oscars for that to happen? They then followed that up with the even stranger dancing sections, which was an unbelievably obvious ploy to showcase some youngsters to the audience. That's fine but to have them tap dancing? Hardly going to send the kids wild.

The bit with Shatner just dragged on and on. Seemed more like an out-take from the Charlie Sheen roast.

His jokes were pretty hit and miss too. For every decent one there were two that flopped. He wasn't as edgy as Gervais nor as funny as Fey & Poehler. A definite step up from Franco/Hathaway but I can't see him coming back anytime soon.

The awards itself pretty much across the board went as predicted. There was no shock moment. I was surprised QT won his second tonight. No doubt he deserves a second but IB was a much better script. Waltz winning was a bit surprising considering he only won a couple of years ago. Personally I thought PSH gave the best supporting performance of the year, Waltz was essentially the lead.

DDL gave the funniest speech I've ever seen him do, it was a nice change as he usually seems quite serious. He was always going to win though, he could easily have 4 best actor gongs as he was fantastic as Bill the Butcher. 

I'm glad Anne Hathaway won, for two reasons. 1. She gave the best supporting performance of the year, I dreamed a Dream gave me goosebumps and i still listen to her rendition every other day. And 2. So I don't have to watch her give one more "Is this really happening, I'm so overwhelmed!" performance when accepting an award.

BOOO that Jennifer Lawrence won. I'm sure the middle aged fanboys on here all rushed out of their seats to help her up after she face planted into the stairs. Which was my personal pick for best moment of the night. Why is she so popular? Hunger Games was an average flick and I've not seen Amour but Chastain put in a better performance and single handedly carried ZD30. Plus, she looked about 30 times better than JLaw. Anyone else notice she had a droopy left eye when she went up to present?

Li taking best Director was not a shock but a deserved win nontheless. Anyone who transforms an 'unfilmable' book and turns it into a critical and commercial success deserves the win. Lincoln was fine, but there was nothing special about it. Everyone involved with the film has produced better work in the past, even DDL.

And Best Picture deservedly went to Argo. Out of the films I've seen it was the best picture of the year for me. Tense, dramatic and well acted. Affleck keeps rising and it's hard to root against him and Clooney.

I think people need to cut out the information that has nothing to do with the topic. We already know some people like Film A and hate Film B in all those threads we have read. Leave your hate there.Ben Affleck and Ang Lee gave pretty good speech and Adele's singing was a masterpiece!Seth did well in managing the whole situation though it did get a bit dry at the end.

I think people need to cut out the information that has nothing to do with the topic. We already know some people like Film A and hate Film B in all those threads we have read. Leave your hate there. Ben Affleck and Ang Lee gave pretty good speech and Adele's singing was a masterpiece! Seth did well in managing the whole situation though it did get a bit dry at the end.

We all have different opinions and are going to express them here.