The visuals were incredible as was said before... landscapes were beautiful, but the feel of it didn't get me as excited compared to when I saw the trailers for Up or Wall E. The trailer was a bit underwhelming. I saw glimpses of the Pixar magic I expect, but it felt more like a animated film from some other studio to me. I know I'm putting Pixar up on a pedastal with this post, but I expect so much from them.

I still have a gut feeling I will be pleasantly surprised come summer of next year.

Pixar trailers have been known to disappoint in the past...

Part of the trailer gave me a Dreamworks vibe. It's not like they can't produce Pixar standard animation though *cough* Dragon *cough*.

I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

Yeah.. that's what I was getting at in my post. I just didn't want to start a DW vs Pixar battle. But yeah, it felt more like a DW film. But I must disagree, Dragon, was absolutely solid, but still did not match the level of most Pixar films. It was a Pixar film, I'd say Dragon would be in their lower tiered rankings.

Either way, I agree that their trailers have always been a bit underwhelming, but they've still been able to get me excited, whereas this one did not necessarily do that.

Yeah.. that's what I was getting at in my post. I just didn't want to start a DW vs Pixar battle. But yeah, it felt more like a DW film. But I must disagree, Dragon, was absolutely solid, but still did not match the level of most Pixar films. It was a Pixar film, I'd say Dragon would be in their lower tiered rankings.

Either way, I agree that their trailers have always been a bit underwhelming, but they've still been able to get me excited, whereas this one did not necessarily do that.

+1 HTTYD was good, but I didn't think it was as good as the Pixar films. (With the exception of Cars 2, of course) However, I admired it because it was DreamWorks trying to tell a good story instead of falling back on pop culture jokes and the Shrek 2 formula.

Anyways, I liked the trailer, but like all Pixar trailers, it wasn't great. I thought the trailer focused a little too much on the comedy, rather than the story itself. However, I thought the trailer for TS3 was much worse. It should be good. At least with Cars 2 trailers, you knew what you were getting.

+1 HTTYD was good, but I didn't think it was as good as the Pixar films. (With the exception of Cars 2, of course) However, I admired it because it was DreamWorks trying to tell a good story instead of falling back on pop culture jokes and the Shrek 2 formula.

Anyways, I liked the trailer, but like all Pixar trailers, it wasn't great. I thought the trailer focused a little too much on the comedy, rather than the story itself. However, I thought the trailer for TS3 was much worse. It should be good. At least with Cars 2 trailers, you knew what you were getting.

I think I agree with every single word in your post.

I think it's interesting they're advertising this as "From the makers of Pixar's non-franchises"

Visuals look great, I wish they hadn't focused so much on the comedy but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I did laugh at the real suitor hiding behind the big, strong one, though.

The animation not concerning the landscapes looks kind of dull? The queen for example looks half-rate.

I don't know, I personally adored How to Train Your Dragon and put it with the top of Pixar but this looks like a mix between that, Tangled (which I also love) and a multitude of other films and not pulling it off particularly well. I still have faith as their trailers aren't ever good, but I don't know, I think it'll still be good but much different from the Pixar magic we expect.

I can say right now I don't like the designs of a lot of the humans. Merida, I think is her name, looks fine, I've accepted the look but the mother and some of the villagers, especially the one who bares his bosom/might be the one with the son just looks way out of place. Like a design you'd see on a cartoon on Disney mixed with Cartoon Network.

Also, given we know the context is between daughter and mother from Brenda's own experiences, this has to pull off something akin to Tangled where I personally thought both female characters (I cannot believe I'm blanking on names) were very strong otherwise it doesn't work.

Maybe that's why they pulled Brenda off because I surely don't want to see a generic conversation/realization that happens in every family reconciliation and right now the impression I'm getting is Merida's strong but her mother is one-dimensional, and the animation doesn't help.

I agree that the landscapes look beautiful, whereas the humans look kinda Cartoon Network-ish.

We're probably being a bit critical of it due to Cars 2 crapfest, but I do think this will still be top notch quality, in the end. My gut tells me we'll be ranking this one in the lower half of Pixar films above the Cars stuff and A Bug's Life, but below most of their other outings.