RichWS

Friday Numbers

I know Oz is tracking in the 70's but is anyone sensing any buzz?

After the assault of TV spots I've endured this weekend, I sure hope they can hit the 70's. I still think 75-80 is likely. I'm betting big on it.

But once you look at budget and marketing they practically beak even at the box office.

They're no where as profitable as the A-list and B-list superhero movies.

The majority of movies fail to break even at the box office, and many others fail to break even after ancillary revenue.  SWatH and Hansel and Gretel both made profit, and, in the latter case, profit before the theater run was over.

As for funnybook movies, there have been bombs a-plenty to go along with the blockbuster hits, and movies like SWatH and H and G are easily in the same ballpark as the "B level" superhero movies like XmenFC, Thor, and Captain America in terms of revenue to budget.

SWATH is KStew vanity franchise and it`s going to die because nobody is clamoring for the sequel. On top of being barely profitable.

However, as long as there`s one success like AIW they`ll keep trying.

Barely profitable?  It certainly wasn't the Avengers or the Hangover, but it was a solid hit.

In fact, every single one of these fairytale adaptations has made money, except for Mirror Mirror which was utter crap anyway.  I agree that AiW was the only true smash hit so far, but that's going to change in the very near future (not with JtGS though).

Let me guess- you want more "original screenplays" based on comic books?

By the way, Red Riding Hood did not bomb.  It didn't make much money but had a low budget, and more than doubled it WW.

After Snow White, Jack and Hansel I hope Hollywood finally gets off this "Re-imagining" of Fairy Tales.  All they are doing is being lazy by taking popular children stories and trying to reinvent them instead of taking more risk with Original Screenplays.  I'm sorry but this is only the beginning.  I think March is going to have a lot of Big Budget under performers.   

Edited by rb02

For me, I'm only watching GIJ 2, Oblivion, IM3, STII, F6, After Earth, MOS and KA2.  That's my Summer Schedule this year.  As you can see, I'm a sci-fi/Action guy, always have, always will be.  My Question Marks are:

Pacific Rim - I need to see another trailer before I decide

The Wolverine - I'm Iffy after Orgins

World War Z - I'm still on the fence

The Hangover III - I actually liked the series so if the Trailer pulls me in I may give it a chance.

You're iffy about The Wolverine after Origins?  If Origins didn't happen the outlook of The Wolverine would be way more bleak because of how poorly XMO: Wolverine was received.

The majority of movies fail to break even at the box office, and many others fail to break even after ancillary revenue.  SWatH and Hansel and Gretel both made profit, and, in the latter case, profit before the theater run was over.

As for funnybook movies, there have been bombs a-plenty to go along with the blockbuster hits, and movies like SWatH and H and G are easily in the same ballpark as the "B level" superhero movies like XmenFC, Thor, and Captain America in terms of revenue to budget.

Lets look at the A-List superheros (700 m to 1+ billion WW):

The Dark Knight (2 movies)

Avengers (1 movie)

Spider-man (4 movies) 

Then B-list (400-700 m WW)

Iron Man (2 movies)

Thor (1 movie)

Then add another  2 movies by the end of the year.

So 12 movies in these groups and that number will probably increase by 75% in 5 years.

How many fairy tale movies made it into those groups? One, Alice in Wonderland.

lmao

"Funny book" adaptations are on another level. Fairy tales aren't even in the same building.

We've had a grand total of five fairy tale adaptation movies prior to the release of JtGK since Ever After all the way back in the 90's.  I may be forgetting one or two, but you get the point.  How many comic book movies; how many dozens, in that time period?  Along with the massive hits, there have been minor hits, and flops as well.

If you want to take each movie of the respective genres and calculate which genre is more profitable and by how much, comic book movie probably come out ahead, but that's not even really the point, anyway.  The point is that it's very odd that those who do the most complaining about the fairy tale adaptations being unimaginative and how more "original screenplays" are needed rarely apply that reasoning to the onslaught of the comic book movies.

Lets look at the A-List superheros (700 m to 1+ billion WW):

The Dark Knight (2 movies)

Avengers (1 movie)

Spider-man (4 movies) 

Then B-list (400-700 m WW)

Iron Man (2 movies)

Thor (1 movie)

Then add another  2 movies by the end of the year.

So 12 movies in these groups and that number will probably increase by 75% in 5 years.

How many fairy tale movies made it into those groups? One, Alice in Wonderland.

lmao

"Funny book" adaptations are on another level. Fairy tales aren't even in the same building.

I'm not sure what definition of fairy tale is being used here. Alice in Wonderland is based on a fantasy book, I don't see why it would be any more of a fairy tale than LOTR or Harry Potter.

We've had a grand total of five fairy tale adaptation movies prior to the release of JtGK since Ever After all the way back in the 90's.  I may be forgetting one or two, but you get the point.  How many comic book movies; how many dozens, in that time period?  Along with the massive hits, there have been minor hits, and flops as well. If you want to take each movie of the respective genres and calculate which genre is more profitable and by how much, comic book movie probably come out ahead, but that's not even really the point, anyway.  The point is that it's very odd that those who do the most complaining about the fairy tale adaptations being unimaginative and how more "original screenplays" are needed rarely apply that reasoning to the onslaught of the comic book movies.

Well I never attacked Hollywood for a lack of originality..

Just got back from Jack.  Not surprised number wise that's where it's at, I never thought it would break out, but I will say the movie was a lot more fun than I expected.  Maybe my expectations were just that low but this was the first movie I had seen in a long time that felt like a family film.  Know everyone's giving it a rough time (and somewhat rightly so) but the quality of the film is above average for this type of fantasy.

Edited by RyneOh1040