19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Visually mesmerizing, haunting, brilliant, magnificent. Mansell turns in a fantastic score, as always. Great cast and cinematography. Pretty much the best film this year and it'll be a while before its beaten.A

• Like 1

I really loved the editing in this one. The quiet moments really brought the tension. It was kind of off putting at first for me since the shots seemed random but I kept reminding myself what she had said in the beginning about seeing and hearing things that other people cant. And I liked that the film teased that there was something off with Goode's uncle character but held their cards for the very last bit of the film. The only thing I really hated was that damn progressive rock at the end. Kind of just took me out of the entire experience. But I really enjoyed everything else leading up to that. 

B+

The last 30 minutes is brilliant. The first 60 or so is hit and miss. It is meandering and take a while to get to the point. You obviously know there is more to this guy than meets the eye but imo it takes too many liberties. I didn't buy that he could off someone in a phone booth and no one would see it. I didn't buy that he could bury someone in the freezer and that no one would find the body and if they did, no one would say anything.But, it is very Psycho-esque and very Hitchcockian. There was even a shot where Charlie's shadow looks like Norman Bates and I'm sure that was intentional.Mia is quite brilliant in this and yes, her shower scene was offsetting, nerve wracking and sexy all at once.And for those who didn't know, Charlie is played by the same guy who was the most brilliant man in the world, in Watchmen. I didn't recognize his face but I did recognize the voice. He is excellent in this.7/10...will see it again, maybe will be higher once I do.

The script is serviceable to the material. Some of the third-act reveals aren't particularly inspired, but the shower reveal certainly was. 

And besides, the film's all about Park Chan-Wook. 

• Like 1