Plain Old Tele

Will Spec Scripts Rise Again?

Much valuable story.

In that vein, the spec market is showing signs of picking up, with 119 sales in 2011, up from 55 in 2010. Last year the number dipped to 96, but the year was notable for two specs sharing “Die Hard in the White House” plots selling within weeks of each other. One, White House Down, sold for seven figures and was fast-tracked into production with Independence Day’s Roland Emmerich as director. It will be in theaters this summer, arriving just a few weeks afterIron Man 3.

“A good idea can come from anywhere,” says Langley, whose studio reportedly shelled out $5 million for the e-book phenomenon Fifty Shades of Grey. Though not a spec script, the erotic trilogy that began as fan fiction and became a worldwide best-seller shares a similar up-from-nowhere spirit. New media, while whittling away audiences, have also unearthed fresh voices. The Academy Award–winning screenwriter Diablo Cody was discovered via her blog. Kelly Oxford, a housewife from Alberta, Canada, who amassed hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers, recently sold her first screenplay, a spec. Another spec, The Disciple Program, was snapped up after a series of teasing tweets hyped it, reminding Hollywood of pre-tracking-board days.

And about SPEC SCRIPT:

What is a Spec Script?

It still amazes me that there are scripts that were bought for $1 million+ and never produced. You'd think someone would want to take a chance on producing it if it generated that much interest to begin with.

The main problem for writers now is that Hollywood is producing less original content then ever before. You're better off just making your own low-buget movie and hoping it gets you noticed (and possibly some offers of working on a franchise) than trying to get in as a screenwriter on the ground floor.

• Like 1

My best friend and I are working on a script where we each take turns writing a couple pages. It's an action movie that by the time we are done, will be the most violent, crazy, stupid, ad one-liner filled movie ever. I found a Final Draft reader app that works with Dropbox. It's slow as hell up here at work and I'm reading over it. It's kind of awesome how we are trying to one-up each other constantly.

• Like 1

My best friend and I are working on a script where we each take turns writing a couple pages.It's an action movie that by the time we are done, will be the most violent, crazy, stupid, ad one-liner filled movie ever.I found a Final Draft reader app that works with Dropbox. It's slow as hell up here at work and I'm reading over it. It's kind of awesome how we are trying to one-up each other constantly.

Make sure you get it to Michael Bay's office.

• Like 2