baumer

Oblivion (2013)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I refuse to go into this. Instead, back to the movie:

Oblivion is well above the average level of modern cinema. In its genre (hardcore sci-fi) it's actually one of the best ever.On top of that it has really great visuals and music. So that's enough for me to be seeing it many times in a row. I see many movies many times only because of the visuals. But Oblivion also has very nice attention to detail and some really powerful scenes. So that I found new things to enjoy with each viewing.Examples:The scene with Vicca 52The parting scene with Julia, before she goes asleepThe answer Jack gives to Sally when it catches him lying("I want Julia to live... This is the only way" - that was a great line, because it's the asbolute truth - but we don't get to know it till much later)

• Like 1

I refuse to go into this. Instead, back to the movie:

Why not? I was talking about the movie. In fact I used it as a prime example.

Character attraction simply means far more than physical attraction. That is if you want a relationship to mean anything or else it simply rings hollow. All character and story elements have to work on the page long before they work on the screen. Make the audience believe a relationship is real and it simply doesn't matter what they look like.

Edited by Gazz

But to make the point I made earlier, many consider Victoria to be prettier but she is not compatible with Jack on a character level and so beauty stands for little in that scenario because the relationship doesn't work on a character level.

ok...just saw the movie.  I really liked it.  Kept me engaged the entire time.  I have some questions though...

Just so I get it...I am thinking that Tech 49 was the one that blew up with Morgan Freeman.  Then it took Tech 52 three years to find where 49 hid the wife.  

Not sure why 52 shot the wife...was it because he did not know she was his wife at the time and he felt threatened?  Was it an accident?

We are not sure if other clones can be "freed" like 49 and 52...right?  But we are pretty sure there are a bunch of other clones on Earth...are they all going to eventually think they are married to Julia?

I was thinking that it was 52 who set up the beacon...was it a different clone?  Was it Morgan Freeman?

Julia is not a clone, right?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome.

ok...just saw the movie.  I really liked it.  Kept me engaged the entire time.  I have some questions though...

Just so I get it...I am thinking that Tech 49 was the one that blew up with Morgan Freeman.  Then it took Tech 52 three years to find where 49 hid the wife.  

YES.

Not sure why 52 shot the wife...was it because he did not know she was his wife at the time and he felt threatened?  Was it an accident?

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT AS 49 AND 52 FOUGHT.

We are not sure if other clones can be "freed" like 49 and 52...right?  But we are pretty sure there are a bunch of other clones on Earth...are they all going to eventually think they are married to Julia?

THERE WOULD SEEM TO BE A SET OF VICTORIA'S AND JACK'S COVERING SECTIONS OF EARTH.  AT LEAST 50+.  IT WOULD SEEM ALL THE JACK CLONES DREAM OF JULIA, ARE MORE CURIOUS AND THINK THERE IS SOMETHING MORE TO LIFE.  THE VICTORIA CLONES HAVE MEMORIES OF THEIR PAST AS WELL BUT DON'T REFLECT ON THEM AND PROBABLY SUPPRESS THE DREAMS AS NOT BEING REAL.

I was thinking that it was 52 who set up the beacon...was it a different clone?  Was it Morgan Freeman?

MORGAN FREEMAN SET OFF THE BEACON SO HE COULD GET ACCESS TO THE SMALL NUCLEAR REACTOR ON THE SPACECRAFT.

Julia is not a clone, right?

JULIA IS THE REAL JULIA.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

A very rare thing happened when I walked out of my Oblivion screening: I realised I was given exactly what I had been promised from the trailers. Nothing more. Nothing less.Overall I really enjoyed the film and I felt as if it had a really good pace to it. There were some points which I really didn't find necessary (and thought they were somewhat strange) - did JH really need to be cloned 432billion quadrillion times? But I went with it.Definitely recommend seeing it.7.5/10

• Like 2

I completely disagree with that incredibly simplistic point of view. The attraction between characters has to work on paper long before it works on screen, which means it has to work regardless of beauty. For example, some may consider Victoria to be far more attractive than Julia (many here appear to) but the film makes a point of saying that Victoria isn't compatible with Jack on a deeper level. On a character level. It doesn't matter how beautiful she is because she simply isn't a fit for Jack.

Disagree all you want, he's right. Only ugly people think otherwise, just like 'beauty is on the inside' its a load of crap.

A very rare thing happened when I walked out of my Oblivion screening: I realised I was given exactly what I had been promised from the trailers. Nothing more. Nothing less.Overall I really enjoyed the film and I felt as if it had a really good pace to it. There were some points which I really didn't find necessary (and thought they were somewhat strange) - did JH really need to be cloned 432billion quadrillion times? But I went with it.Definitely recommend seeing it.7.5/10

If you were Shayhiri, that would be good enough to see it four more times in theaters.  :P

• Like 1

Disagree all you want, he's right. Only ugly people think otherwise, just like 'beauty is on the inside' its a load of crap.

So beauty in film matters first and foremost over the strength of the character and story?

What utter tosh. :lol: For a start beauty is subjective and while one person might find the object of desire physically attractive, the next person might not. As long as the relationship between the characters feels real and defined then beauty simply matters not. It is irrelevant as to who is more beautiful when the relationship works and as I said earlier, it has to work on paper long before it works on screen.

I guess I'm just a touch more demanding when it comes to film.

Edited by Gazz

Many of the characters seem to be very thinly developed and the story isn't the greatest (I could tell they were setting up a Moon-esque twist about 30 seconds into it btw) BUT I mostly liked it. Kosinski is a great visual director and this movie looks absolutely stunning, also Cruise is great and I appreciated the slower pace they took with it, which is rare for this kind of big budget flick these days. I'd give it a B.

• Like 1

B+ 8.5/10 much better than I expected, with some impactful and tenses scenes (like Victoria's death  :( ) and a great twist... A great theme too (a bit repetitive though)

ps: for some reason this movie reminded me of Matrix.

Edited by GoffeSteel
  • Like 3

The first hour was AMAZING! I was sold, on the edge of my seat, then the pacing starts getting out of whack. The twists start coming the movie falls. I like the plot, I even liked most the twists and though the pay out was good (minus the kids at the end). but the execution was just not right, this has some of the worst pacing ever seen. This movie is 2 hours but it easily feels 2.5 or longer. 

Overall I enjoyed it and the visuals, acting and cinematography were fantastic. Even with these I have to say I am slight disappointed. 

B-