Lordmandeep

Movies that Changed Society's Way of Thinking?

Movies are mostly fantasy but sometimes they become so engrained in mainstream culture that they fundamentally shape the minds of society.

Which films dramatically altered society’s way of thinking on certain things, issues or ideas?

Which films created ideas or misconceptions that became widely accepted?

One famous example likely goes to One Flew over a Cuckoo Nest. When anyone thinks about a mental hospital or the institutionalization of the mentally insane, they remember the craziness that occurred during that film.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Knute_Rockne,_All_American?qsrc=3044

Knute Rockne, All American is a 1940 biographical film which tells the story of Knute Rockne, Notre Dame football coach. 

Reagan's role of George 'The Gipper' Gipp gave him the nickname of "The Gipper" for the rest of his life.

This is a weird choice, but Midnight in Paris made me realize that there's no use in moaning about today and longing times past, cause there really hasn't been a golden age: the people who lived in your dream time period were complaining about their time and wishing to live in the past, and so on. 

• Like 1

Probably some documentaries had impact on the way people think, like An Inconvenient Truth, Super Size Me etc. Bowling for Columbine and Sicko by Michael Moore sure provoked a lot of thought in me. 

And his first one? The one with GM and the town of Flint sp? Michigan being ruined.

Still remember that movie, 25 years later.

Movies are mostly fantasy but sometimes they become so engrained in mainstream culture that they fundamentally shape the minds of society.

Which films dramatically altered society’s way of thinking on certain things, issues or ideas?

Which films created ideas or misconceptions that became widely accepted?

One famous example likely goes to One Flew over a Cuckoo Nest. When anyone thinks about a mental hospital or the institutionalization of the mentally insane, they remember the craziness that occurred during that film.

Well for example - Jaws - started the Summer Blockbuster....and Kept People Out of the Water ...and through Technical Reasons Mostly, didn't show the Villain to past the middle of the movie.

• Founder / Operator

I dare say Avatar might qualify here when it comes to "recent" movies. Although, it was more of a capitalizing on what society was already thinking...but this was the first blockbuster that really pandered toward our "green" culture. And it worked.

But, I'm sure there are better examples further back in history. Star Wars is almost definitely included.

• Like 1

Philadelphia.

First time, I think an Hollywood movie really brought AIDS issues front and center, something kept under wrap in the eighties out of fear and painted it very humanly (It was considered a "gay disease", an unspoken and underground plague, kind of a shameful taboo in our society). 

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Philadelphia. First time, I think an Hollywood movie really brought AIDS issues front and center, something kept under wrap in the eighties out of fear and painted it very humanly (It was considered a "gay disease", an unspoken and underground plague, kind of a shameful taboo in our society).

That and the very good...And the Band Played on, which was either a popular TV movie or was shown in limited release.

That and the very good...And the Band Played on, which was either a popular TV movie or was shown in limited release.

Yeah, I was thinking about And the Band Played On also. But I believe it was just a TV movie. I know I saw it on HBO.

For the most part, I don't believe movies actually have changed society as a whole, unlike books which have had a profound effect on society (ex. Uncle Tom's Cabin).

I think the Matrix changed the way a lot of people think. Not necessarily that we're living in a computer generated society. And I didn't love the Matrix the way some did. However, it made people think about how they were being controlled and made to think certain thoughts. It really made people view the way society operated.

Back to the Future really shaped the way we view time travel. Every movie that has come afterwards that deals with time travel generally follows a lot of the principles established in Back to the Future and Back to the Future Il. But, that's really a movie affecting other movies.

On a lighter note, Clueless inspired a whole generation of young women.

• Like 1