Lordmandeep

Movies that Changed Society's Way of Thinking?

It is.

I disagree that it had an effect on society since it was a documentary of the 1934 Nuremberg rallies made for propaganda purposes, but no real evidence it changed society outside of Germany.

However it had a huge effect on cinema and is certainly one of the most influential films of all time with its technical innovations and style of shots/pacing/etc.

Edited by 4815162342

Christopher Nolan. There are many people who see the world differently because his movies opened  their eyes. He`s like real-life Matrix.

Speaking of the devil, Matrix is one of those movies for sure.

Edited by fishnets

How did something like Matrix change society though? The Matrix, imo, is about the things I believe in. It definitely is telling us that we are all living with our eyes closed. There are passages about the Merovingian, sleeping while the powers that be control us and much much more. This is all Illuminati stuff and it is all conspiracy stuff. For me, it's one of the reasons I enjoy the movie so much. But did that theme really change society or did it reach a few people willing to take the red pill?

I don't think Matrix changed society but I can see how it impacted teenagers and people that ask themselves questions about the world they're living in on a daily basis. What's the point, what's the matter, is that an illusion to control us as gullible sheep to preserve some balance or inequity? Matrix took Baudrillard's philosophy and views about simulations, the whole interrogations that used to run through cyberpunk culture for 20 years (you could trace it back to Philip K. Dick paranoid books in the 50's/60's) and made it popular.

It applies to Fight Club too. That feeling the movie explored was ingrained since the beginning of the nineties but then a movie took that and made it explode so it became a cult movie impacting a generation even if the point and the view are hardly new.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Harry Potter has had an enormous impact on society. That is an indisputable fact. A lot of the older people won't quite understand, but the people who grew up with Harry know how influential he was. If you're going to deny his impact, then you're just being ignorant. There are films I don't like but to deny their impact would be really foolhardy of me.

• Like 1

. But did that theme really change society or did it reach a few people willing to take the red pill?

Any movie that sets a fashion trend also falls into "changes the society category". Sly and Arnie`s 80s actioners did more for gym owners than any other kind of advertising. That`s where the six-pack craze trully started and didn`t die down. Michael Bay movies do more for advertising military than "all you can be" ads. Top Gun was famous for increasing the number of applicants. THG turned archery into one of the most watched sports at the Olympics where it used to be one of the most skipped. Etc. Many movies change the society in many ways.

• Like 1

Harry Potter has had an enormous impact on society. That is an indisputable fact. A lot of the older people won't quite understand, but the people who grew up with Harry know how influential he was. If you're going to deny his impact, then you're just being ignorant. There are films I don't like but to deny their impact would be really foolhardy of me.

But I'd say the books had the effect far more than the films did.

• Like 1

It is.

I disagree that it had an effect on society since it was a documentary of the 1934 Nuremberg rallies made for propaganda purposes, but no real evidence it changed society outside of Germany.

However it had a huge effect on cinema and is certainly one of the most influential films of all time with its technical innovations and style of shots/pacing/etc.

I was just going by German society not the international community. 

Has anyone see it? It is on Youtube and I was wondering if it was worth the watch. 

I was just going by German society not the international community. 

Has anyone see it? It is on Youtube and I was wondering if it was worth the watch. 

If you're into retro blonde hunks all oily and semi-nude playing in the fields, you might check it out. :lol:

Wasn`t Clueless super infuential in how teens started to think, behave, talk,etc?

Think it had more to do with making more girl movies, with that sterotype, then actually changing girls real lives.

And think there have been other movies before this - Valley Girl...plus all the Surfer, Blonde, Hooker etc movies.

Not sure what movies, but here are some things that changed, future movies....

* Movie Sound

* IMAX

* Digital

* Hand Held Cameras

* The Shakey Camera

* Sub-titles and Dubbing

Etc....

:batman:

I`ll be eternanlly greatful to Clerks 2 for showing that Rings-bashing was OK and every cool. That movie really opened many people`s eyes about overratedness of the movies "about walking". Even those who haven`t seen the whole movie know the classic "there`s only one Return,ok, and it ain`t of the King, but it`s of the Jedi" + "this is the first movie...." lines and monologues. I credit it for one of main factors in drop of interest in TH. People simply didn`t see those other movies the same way once Randall pointed out the truth.

• Like 1