A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

11 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

I'd say about 250DOM, 450WW is the max.

Although Sing and Assassin's Creed will probably hurt it a bit

Why lower OS than DOM? Gravity/Interstellar/Martian are the best comparisons and all had way bigger OS numbers than DOM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Why lower OS than DOM? Gravity/Interstellar/Martian are the best comparisons and all had way bigger OS numbers than DOM.

Yep. If it's good and the marketing is awesome (which, with Pratt and Lawrence doing the rounds for this, you bet your ass it's gonna be awesome), I can see this doing around 300m domestic and 400-500m OS.

It could be like a mini Titanic. It certainly feels like Titanic in space to me.

But I don't want to get my hopes up too high. In the end it's original sci-fi so as long as it makes the studio some money and makes original high-budget movies more palatable to them, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, misafeco said:

One, I changed my prediction to about 550WW, and two, it's going up against Sing, which will be pretty big because it's singing animals from Illumination, Assassin's Creed, which has a reestablished fanbase thanks to a large amount of extremely well performing video games, and Star Wars, which is Star Wars

3 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Yep. If it's good and the marketing is awesome (which, with Pratt and Lawrence doing the rounds for this, you bet your ass it's gonna be awesome), I can see this doing around 300m domestic and 400-500m OS.

It could be like a mini Titanic. It certainly feels like Titanic in space to me.

But I don't want to get my hopes up too high. In the end it's original sci-fi so as long as it makes the studio some money and makes original high-budget movies more palatable to them, I'll be happy.

My prediction is 250/350/600. I don't know what to expect in China the OS number could be bigger.

Titanic is my favorite movie of all time. :) This movie has several similar themes so I can't wait to see it. And I love Jennifer Lawrence & Chris Pratt. Easily my most anticipated fall/holiday movie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

One, I changed my prediction to about 550WW, and two, it's going up against Sing, which will be pretty big because it's singing animals from Illumination, Assassin's Creed, which has a reestablished fanbase thanks to a large amount of extremely well performing video games, and Star Wars, which is Star Wars

Sing targets a different demo so it's not direct competition. Assassin's Creed looks likely to flop, If Fassy's record is anything to go by. I've heard that "established fanbase" thing very recently for Warcraft - didn't really pan out there, not expecting much better here.

The big competition is naturally Star Wars but this looks different enough in tone IMHO. I think both movies can co-exist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Christmas can handle multiple big movies quite well, especially if they targets different audiences like Sing. Star Wars is a big problem though, that's why I'm not sure about this release date. AC will tank like Warcraft.

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Sing targets a different demo so it's not direct competition. Assassin's Creed looks likely to flop, If Fassy's record is anything to go by. I've heard that "established fanbase" thing very recently for Warcraft - didn't really pan out there, not expecting much better here.

The big competition is naturally Star Wars but this looks different enough in tone IMHO. I think both movies can co-exist.

Warcraft didn't do well outside of China because it was ten years too late

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

You always beat me. I swear I didn't read your comment before wrinting mine. :redcapes:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

tumblr_odsw5mwWAa1rrb9xco1_500.gif

tumblr_odsw5mwWAa1rrb9xco2_500.gif

:popcorn::stretcher::mouthdropped::shades::excited::cloud9:

tumblr_odsz8utFvf1sybyd5o1_500.gif

40 minutes ago, Alli said:

JLawrence was paid 20M for this. let's see if she's worth the money.

Well, her name and Passengers have been trending for hours. And everything about her is picked up by media even when she doesn't want it to be.  I think she'll more than earn the money in acting alone, but even if you don't like her (as seems to be the case) I think you have to concede her value in marketing. 

Besides, it is $20 Million against 30% of the profits.

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I know you don't want spoilers but {and this isn't really a spoiler but to be safe 

Hide contents

I think that would require a major retooling of the script which they may have done.

It's hard to tell if that's happened or it's just marketing which of course can be even more effective than the actual content or quality of a movie in luring in audience.

I think the factor you are thinking of will be there, and the resolution will make it a great date movie, as well as an action movie.

37 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

True. 550WW then

:P

You can't spoil my mood!!!