A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Just now, eXtacy said:

Well this is much worse than I thought. Was thinking perhaps 50-60% on RT after all the middling reports but this is a disaster. A lot more space just opened up for Assassins Creed and Sing.

There's not much overlap in the demos for those movies

58 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This kind of reminds me of The Tourist with a foreign director looking to make his big mainstream break and faltering. That movie tbf was bailed out at the box office overseas but still put FHvD out of commission for awhile and he's just now finishing his next (German) film.

Tydlum has already made an English language film, one which actually was successful, so it's not that comparable.

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Stanley Donen made SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, without question one of the greatest, most entertaining, and purely fun movies ever to come out of the Hollywood system.

....he also made SATURN 3, one of the worst movies of all time. Science-fiction can be tricky for some filmmakers.

To be fair that film also had huge production problems, including budget cuts, and at least two different people directing additional scenes (Kirk Douglas of all people apparently shot a few scenes for example).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I haven't read the actual reviews but please don't tell me that the twist is...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

No, From what I understand is Pratt wakes her up cause she's hot and he's lonely and wants to have sex with her.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I haven't read the actual reviews but please don't tell me that the twist is...

Hide contents

...they're brother and sister. Cause gross.

Isn't the "twist" that

Spoiler

Aurora wakes up from her stasis not by a ship malfunction but by his purposeful meddling due to his feeling lonely?

Yep, pretty terrible reviews. Doesn't bode well for me enjoying the film. It also seems, based off of the general stuff I'm reading in reviews (trying to avoid spoilers) is that the problem lies in the script and story itself -- that it doesn't resolve or closely address whatever moral or ethical consideration it takes up. That's definitely problematic. It's especially problematic when the director in this case seems to make things worse or at least is unable to elevate the material.

This film may do well (or half-decent) on Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence alone - will be interesting to see how general audiences react. I'm going to predict a domestic tally between $120-140 million. 

I do find it to be a shame that a truly original movie a studio decides to invest in ends up being so poor (critically at least). It would have been nice for this to have gotten great reviews and send a message to studios that they can invest in original material. I don't say this as a knock to superhero movies, etc, which I enjoy a lot and watch regularly, just that it would be nice to see original content alongside the established brands. But the original material needs to be better - in this case, it doesn't seem to be very good.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

I'm still going to see this because I think it should be at least an entertaining movie, and because it is wholly original, but yikes, there's no denying that those reviews absolutely do not bode well.

I'm just a little miffed because this has absolutely all the components to be a very good original Sci-Fi movie, but it looks like it did not deliver on that promise. Just goes to show you that you can't plan a quality movie, even when you have all the "ingredients" (stars, director, script...) prefectly laid out.

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Yep, pretty terrible reviews. Doesn't bode well for me enjoying the film. It also seems, based off of the general stuff I'm reading in reviews (trying to avoid spoilers) is that the problem lies in the script and story itself -- that it doesn't resolve or closely address whatever moral or ethical consideration it takes up. That's definitely problematic. It's especially problematic when the director in this case seems to make things worse or at least is unable to elevate the material.

This film may do well (or half-decent) on Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence alone - will be interesting to see how general audiences react. I'm going to predict a domestic tally between $120-140 million. 

I do find it to be a shame that a truly original movie a studio decides to invest in ends up being so poor (critically at least). It would have been nice for this to have gotten great reviews and send a message to studios that they can invest in original material. I don't say this as a knock to superhero movies, etc, which I enjoy a lot and watch regularly, just that it would be nice to see original content alongside the established brands. But the original material needs to be better - in this case, it doesn't seem to be very good.

Peace,

Mike

I'm thinking this will be lucky to scrap past $100M at this point.

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

The "twist" actually makes me curious over how Pratt gonna go about acting out the

Reveal hidden contents

8 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Isn't the "twist" that

Reveal hidden contents

*Cue Futurist saying "So what? I would...Every guy would do that as well in a heartbeat."*

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

*Cue Futurist saying "So what? I would...Every guy would do that as well in a heartbeat."*

Can't say anything about every guy but gotta give credits to Futurist for being honest about his inner desire, no matter how creepy it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm thinking this will be lucky to scrap past $100M at this point.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just remember seeing that the industry tracking has it at a $50 million opening. If it opens around the tracking, I think it definitely ends up above $100 million, even with poor WOM, because of the holidays. I think the poor critical reception needs to impact the opening weekend enough that it's opening is significantly lower. The winter holidays prove time and time again that the market expands and accommodates many films, so that even the crappy films end up with surprising total grosses and legs. But you could very well be right - it will be interesting to follow.

Peace,

Mike

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I just remember seeing that the industry tracking has it at a $50 million opening. If it opens around the tracking, I think it definitely ends up above $100 million, even with poor WOM, because of the holidays. I think the poor critical reception needs to impact the opening weekend enough that it's opening is significantly lower. The winter holidays prove time and time again that the market expands and accommodates many films, so that even the crappy films end up with surprising total grosses and legs. But you could very well be right - it will be interesting to follow.

Peace,

Mike

In this day and age, bad reviews is probably enough to impact the opening weekend. I remember tracking for Fantastic Four '15 came in for a $50M opening and then the toxic reviews came in and it flopped.