A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I think this does under 30 5 day and I have for awhile. The trailer views and social media numbers are completely mediocre, and absolutely zero people I know are talking about it. I think it does 16/24/ and finishes at 60 domestically. 

7 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

dammit! now when it under performs peoples excuse will be poor reviews and not poor star power which is what the real reason is.

The guy who wrote this also wrote The Mummy. Aren't you just a little bit concerned?

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

The guy who wrote this also wrote The Mummy. Aren't you just a little concerned?

Nope, Christopher Mcquarrie cowrote The Mummy. I knew the second Cruise signed on that he'd have McQ check and fix the script.

Edited by HesAPooka

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

The guy who wrote this also wrote The Mummy. Aren't you just a little bit concerned?

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Just a little bit of it. Spaihts is the main writer. He wrote the story

No one should be worried at all.

In the grand scheme of things, you're giving the screenwriter far too much power. 

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

No one should be worried at all.

In the grand scheme of things, you're giving the screenwriter far too much power. 

I consider the screenwriter about as much as important as the director. If the story sucks (and from the leaked spoilers, the mummy story sucks), few directors can save the movie (and Alex Kurtzman is not one of them).

I don't know how much this things changed from the original script, but the whole love story didn't fit or work. It was like two people that have nothing better to do fall in love in a locked shopping mall after hours. It was uninteresting. Sorta bland. 

17 minutes ago, Alli said:

I consider the screenwriter about as much as important as the director. If the story sucks (and from the leaked spoilers, the mummy story sucks), few directors can save the movie (and Alex Kurtzman is not one of them).

Think you're going to be surprised by the mummy. We're a ways out, but from everything I've gathered I'm expecting it to be good.

Well, I don't think there's much reason to have hope for The Mummy regardless of the screenwriter, but they don't have as much power as the directors. If a script sucks, it's still the director's responsibility to either make it better or bail out.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Think you're going to be surprised by the mummy. We're a ways out, but from everything I've gathered I'm expecting it to be good.

It's too early for impressions.  And didn't you say the same about Jack reacher 2?

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

It's too early for impressions.  And didn't you say the same about Jack reacher 2?

If it's too early for impressions why are you so dead set on it being horrible?

Pretty sure I said JR2 as going to surprise people in how much it makes.. at the time it was being projected as opening to around 18m, and I thought 27-28. Ended up 23. Given all the negative press I think JR2 ended up doing decent.

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, I don't think there's much reason to have hope for The Mummy regardless of the screenwriter, but they don't have as much power as the directors. If a script sucks, it's still the director's responsibility to either make it better or bail out.

Yes, following up on what Tribefan said, from the moment a script is sold (or the contractual first draft is turned in) the screenwriter is largely having to deal with notes from producers, execs, directors, etc. They have to address notes even if they disagree with them (although they can try to convince people to change their minds). If one director drops out and another one is brought in, typically the script will get re-written based on *their* notes. Even if you assume the same screenwriter stays with the project all the way through production (a relative rarity unless he/she's a writer/director), they're far lower on the totem pole than any of the creatives. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

If it's too early for impressions why are you so dead set on it being horrible?

Because the screenwriter sucks ( see Passengers), the director is a first timer, the leaked spoilers are kinda ridiculous. Those things don't inspire confidence. I'm just saying keep your expectations in check so you won't end up disappointed

Edited by Alli