A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Got dragged to this by a friend who's a space movies nut. It's boring and basic, nothing to get worked up over either ways from what I see. Around a D.

Took a quick look at members review here and I agree with some that the "twist" is rightfully criticized. Such handwaving crappy way to resolve it.

What's the consensus on the romantic chemistry? Cause I thought there were hardly any. JLaw is good, normal JLaw; but Pratt need to stay away from serious roles (which won't happen so the good thing is, I definitely know for sure now to stay away from him playing serious roles) Not to say he's terrible, but he's no good either.

I didn't expect anything from promos/trailers and the actual movie did nothing to raise up from that either. Morton Tyldum is one really boring, mediocre director (after the snoozefest Imitation Game, and then this, I guess I learn of another thing I should definitely stay away from)

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

For me, I think it would've worked better if...

Hide contents

JLaw never forgives Pratt until he puts her to sleep so she can live and he dies alone.  In the whole spaceship malfunction scene, she uses Pratt only to help her save the ship, which helps her to forgive him a bit, but still not completely.  After that, when the whole concept of JLaw being put to sleep but Pratt dying comes up, Pratt insists it happens.  It'd be a nice way for Pratt to redeem himself.  The movie could end with JLaw waking up 88 years later and her forgiving Jim.  I think it would've made the ending a lot better.  Cause what Pratt's character did was pretty terrible. 

In a way I agree, on parts of that, given the options presented in the movie that didn't exist in the screen play.

Spoiler

In the screenplay there was no auto doc.  No one but Jim and Aurora survived because one of the malfunctions, the one that was sucking things into space, instead of almost getting Aurora sucked all the pods out.  Had he not woken her up, she'd have been in it, but the big thing is there was no choice. Does she live her life solitary, hating him forever? Or forgive him, remembering she now has been with him for a year and knows him, and knows she'd also be dead if he hadn't done that awful thing? in the screenplay, their descendants, mixed with the offspring from dead passengers who had had eggs and sperm harvested before being put into stasis, reached Homestead 2.)

In THIS scenario, he risked his life for everyone and she had to choose to live alone or bring him back. In my view she felt the horror of living ENTIRELY alone in that moment.  I wish they hadn't had the auto doc at all though. That meant she had to condemn him, after he saved the ship, including her, or make an unrealistically permanent decision. 

The other point is that according to what is said in the story, she hasn't really been able to have deep relationships with people after her dad died.  She was able to walk away from her friends, and from what we can tell, her father had been the only family she had.  She had been in love with Jim when she thought she was woken up accidentally.  What if SHE just has the capacity to forgive him, in order for them both to have a decent life?

I agree how it is presented isn't 100% persuasive, and I kind of wish they had stuck with the original ending when her only choices were, alone and bitter, or forgive and give both of them a decent life.  But I enjoyed the movie and most movies have unlikely stuff in them imho.  Why on earth couldn't Jack fit on the door too in Titanic?  They never even tried.  Why does Belle ever love the Beast who imprisoned her?  I like movies and would enjoy few of them if I nit picked it.

Having said that, there are some things that just rub me wrong more than others, and people have different hot buttons.

5 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

And yet EVERY SINGLE PERSON  here would have done the exact same thing that Pratt does.

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

Spoiler

Yup, it s the hypocrisy of people thinking they would do the noble gesture in extremely dire & difficult circumstances.

Survival Instinct dictates your actions, they always do, no matter how noble & morally righteous you pretend to be with your social circles  or when you review a movie.

We, as human beings, are all flawed & selfish.

The movie asks a very interesting question and instead on pondering & discussing it, it was met with anger and rejection and accustions of being morally wrong.

"Fatally flawed" my ass.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

And yet EVERY SINGLE PERSON  here would have done the exact same thing that Pratt does.

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

I would have done what Pratt does but to more than one person :ph34r::ph34r:

**But I wouldn't lie to them about it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

Spoiler

It wasn't the fact that he woke her up in the first place, I'm completely fine with that being a plot point. 

However, it's the fact that

JLaw was so easy to forgive him in the movie.  As I've said, they needed something to happen in the movie that would redeem Pratt, and do it in a personal way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Oh man. I could write a whole page in response to @That One Guy but im sitting down to watch LaLaLand. But i dont have a problem at all with her thing that she said. In fact its how most rational people would be.

Trust me, I wanted to like this movie more than...almost everyone here?  I had this movie in my top 5 most anticipated since it was announced have Pratt and JLaw in it.  At one point, I was almost sure it could hit 300M.  And I enjoyed the first two acts...but the final act just brought it down a lot for me.  I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed for sure.

But focus on La La Land for now plz.  Best movie of the year.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

So because you wouldnt lie about it, it makes you a better person?

Did I say it would make me a better person though?

Spoiler

I dont think that waking her up was bad. I would have done the same thing to her and others. It's what happens afterwards with the plot that bothers me. And not just from Pratt's standpoint but from Jlaw's standpoint as well. I think they could have done something far more interesting after Pratt woke her up. But what they settled for  after he wakes her up is what bothers me. 

Edited by Nova

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

You know...the complaints about...that plot point...I don't like it.  I haven't seen the film, but saying it's just a bad plot point annoys me.  It's a great plot point.  It's the main reason this movie intrigued me.  

Now, if as people say it doesn't resolve it well...that's a complaint.  But the plot point in of itself...is to me, the most interesting thing about this movie.

Spoiler

And yeah, after a year and knowing I'd die alone...I'd probably lose it and wake JLaw up.  Shit I'd probably wake her up just to prank her.  I'm not shocked a blockbuster sized movie doesn't explore that concept properly, but come on, it's a great basis for a movie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trifle said:

@Nova spoiler tag what you said, please?

Not neccessary, I'm afraid 

Spoiler

EVERY 

SINGLE

PERSON

5 hours ago, Nova said:

I would have done what Pratt does but to more than one person :ph34r::ph34r:

**But I wouldn't lie to them about it. 

4 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

So because you wouldnt lie about it, it makes you a better person?

tells me exactly everything of what's the twist about.
Should have known better...