A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

This is an interview of Jon Spaihts which is mostly about Dr Strange, but making space movies 'like Passengers' comes up, so I'm posting that part.

Q&A: DOCTOR STRANGE SCREENWRITER JON SPAIHTS ON MAKING THE MYSTICAL REAL AND BLOWING MINDS

--- --- ---
I read an interview you did in 2012, around the release of Prometheus, when you had three prominent but unproduced science-fiction scripts, where they asked you why it was so hard to get an outer-space movie made. Now Passengers is coming out later this year and there other films on the way that are in that vein. So is it easier to get space movies made now or is it still hard?

Spaihts: It’s still hard. The string of recent successes in Gravity and The Martian and hopefully Passengers will help a lot. These are grounded movies with their feet in real physics and their dramatic meat in realistic stories. I think it will get easier to make them. To some extent it’s about teaching people about the possibilities, and to some extent it’s about technology. Space and spacecraft and zero gravity and so forth are very difficult to render. That may be one of the most fundamental differences. Real space movies have to involve zero gravity and a world without up or down. In space opera like Star Trek or Star Wars, the spaceships are always right-side-up with respect to one another and they’ve all got artificial gravity — you walk around them and they’re essentially nautical stories being told against the background of space. Real space travel is much weirder than that.

An X-wing fighter flies like an airplane. If you look at the physics, it’s actually quite impossible. Real vectoring in space, real orbital mechanics, is very counterintuitive, very strange, and very hard to render. It’s expensive, and there’s a learning curve. Some of it is about raising audience literacy to the point where they understand that. Now with the international space station generating a bunch of video, and Space X and other companies pursuing private space flight, I think it’s on all of our radars much more than it has been since the moonshots. The science of filmmaking is making these visions possible now.

What do you think our society hopes for the most from space travel, and what’s our biggest fear of it?

Spaihts:
There are two great fears. The great fear on one end is that we will fail, that we won’t get there, that we’ll lose lives on the way, that it’s too hard and too far. All the way on the other end of the spectrum of possibility, the other great fear is that we might get there and not like what we find. The world may hold startling developments and shocking unknowns. That, of course, is where the classic fables of scary aliens come from, and the early Star Trek notions of encountering cosmic forces out there that could menace us or transform us and make us unrecognizable. The reality of space travel I think is somewhere in the middle. We will get there, it will be hard, it will take a long time, and in the end, the most extraordinary thing we will find when we get there will be ourselves.

What do you mean by that?

Spaihts:
I mean that much more than wiser beings from beyond the stars bringing us enlightenment or death or salvation, we are likely to find ourselves the wisest beings on the scene. Making the right choices on the worlds we explore is going to be our biggest challenge.

Do you think we’re too eager to give up on the planet we have?

Spaihts:
I think the greatest danger of the promise of space travel is that it can lead us to be cavalier about the world we live on, if we assume we can find or make more worlds. I think in our lifetimes we surely will not, probably in the lifetimes of our great-great-grand-descendants we will not. The more you learn about the real vastness of space and the real challenges of space travel, the more completely you appreciate the necessity of taking very good care of this world and being good stewards of it.

Here is the link to the rest: http://www.mtv.com/news/2950748/doctor-strange-passengers-screenwriter-interview/

and Spaihts said this in a later interview:

Anything you’re looking forward to next that’s different, or are you sticking with big-budget tentpoles?

John Spaights: I am leaning increasingly toward directing a film, so I have a shortlist of stories that I’m refining, trying to winnow, trying to choose the one. Passengers” was a wonderful film school. I wasn’t just on set every day, I wrote and shot some viral ads for the movie that will be out later as a part of a VR project I helped to create. It was a great primer in filmmaking and it only intensified the bug I already had to skipper a film. So I think the next thing on the drawing board, in the biggest way, will be figuring out which movie will be mine to shoot.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/doctor-strange-writer-jon-spaihts-benedict-cumberbatch-1201907697/

also:

There are a couple of new stills in there, the one on the tweet and two others.

and here's another new one  WLikPQo.jpg

Edited by trifle
  • Like 5

Again makes me happy to hear how involved Spaihts was in the film-making process. Really gives me hope that it won't become a victim of studio meddling (Like some other projects under Tom Rothman's control).

I can't wait for reviews for this. I just feel like Sony has not been doing a great job promoting it and selling it through the trailers. My ticket is as good as booked already, but virtually no one I know is talking about this movie and I want it to do great, dammit.

• Like 2

TAuOkg8.jpg

Jon Spaihts talks writing Doctor Strange, Passengers, The Mummy and more!

... Then, in December, Sony will release PASSENGERS, a sci-fi epic starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. The film is based on Spaihts' 2007 Black List script that has been struggling to make it to the big screen for years (six years ago, Keanu Reeves was attached to star). That PASSENGERS hasn't been fiddled with in all the years it has been traveling through development hell with is a very rare occurrence indeed, and represents yet another victory for Spaihts, who has become one of the hottest genre scribes in town. ...

You've got Passengers coming out in December, that's obviously a script that's been waiting to make it to the big screen for a few years; how does it feel knowing it's finally coming out, starring two of the biggest stars in the world?

It's incredibly gratifying. It's been a very long road, as you know, and I've been aboard the whole time. To finally get it made, and to see it in such style, and to be on set and be deeply involved in the production has been the ride of a lifetime. And honestly, to have the project to myself like this is extraordinarily rare and could easily never happen to me again, even in a long and successful career. It is without question a treasured memory and long sought victory.

Is what's being released in theaters your script? In other words, has it stayed intact or has it been altered from your original drafts?

Well, to the extent that it was altered by me and it was altered in response to the inevitable needs of film production. There are things we shot that didn't make it into the movie, which is always true. There are things we thought of on the fly that we added to the movie that made it better. It has certainly evolved, for the most part for the better, but it is very true to its original bones. I think its heart is right where it began.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jon-spaihts-talks-writing-doctor-strange-passengers-the-mummy-and-more-240-02

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Hopefully a 2nd trailer will come out soon.

I'm hoping there will be new footage or something when they are on Ellen. 

Fan made:

CwhKGrBUsAAz0tN.jpg

CwhKI5TVEAAGa0l.jpg

CwhKH-pUQAAX2-R.jpg

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

I've been wondering where the budget ended up.  It was supposed to be $120M, then Rothman was going to trim it to $90M and cut back, but got push back on renegotiating salaries that had already been agreed too, and then the VFX issue may have added costs. This article. amongst other things, says it cost $100M.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/passengers-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-morten-tyldum-1201849419/

“It’s an intimate film,” said Tyldum about Passengers, which relies largely on the Jennifer Lawrence-Chris Pratt chemistry, “but the epic quality was a balancing act. Because it’s a character-driven film, they have to go through extreme choices, it’s really a rollercoaster emotionally.”

Throughout Passengers development such stars as Reese Witherspoon, Rachel McAdams and Keanu Reeves were attached at some point. Sony wound up with the town’s most bankable actors Lawrence and Pratt. “They didn’t know each other before the film,” explained Tyldum. “I met them individually and you have this gut feeling that they will allow themselves to connect and fall in love with each other at some level. The whole diva factor wasn’t there at all.”

Passengers takes place on a spacecraft transporting thousands of people in suspended animation to a distant colony planet. The trip takes a deadly turn when the Pratt and Lawrence characters wake up 90 years before anyone else. As they look into the malfunction, they fall deeply in love all while the ship is collapsing and the two learn why they were mysteriously woken up.

also, another new still:

Edited by trifle

23 minutes ago, trifle said:

Did you go around calling her 'Miss Hoult' and 'Miss Martin' when she was dating other people?  Or is this a new development?

It s just a silly Joke.

I am the annoying & historic Jlaw stan at BOT, never said anything negative about her.

• Like 1

For me, the great thing about this trailer is that it does have elements of films that were really big hits and films which really resonated with me. There is the obvious gravity homage but the other two big ones are Terminator and Titanic. Both films have lovers that were doomed from the beginning but still carried on anyway for us to enjoy. I love both of those movies and the fact that this trailer has the feel of them has me pretty excited to see it.

• Like 3