A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I'm starting to grow a morbid curiosity about this film now that the reviews are becoming toxic. Before the reviews, everything about this film's story seemed so bland, unoriginal and predictable that I was going to skip it. Now these reviews have me thinking I need to see for myself how truly awful it is. 

Edited by LonePirate

Pratt and Lawrence got paid what they got paid.  They are both big stars.  No reason to see why they wouldn't get big paydays again.  Pratt has plenty of big projects coming up that will raise his asking price.  

Even if this movie bombs, it's not going to kill their power as film leads.  Now if they keep doing a bunch back to back, yeah that could negatively impact their careers.  But Pratt for instance has plenty of other hits he's lining up so he will be OK.  I'm sure Lawrence will be fine as well.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Even if this movie bombs, it's not going to kill their power as film leads.  Now if they keep doing a bunch back to back, yeah that could negatively impact their careers.  But Pratt for instance has plenty of other hits he's lining up so he will be OK. 

How can they be hits if they have not even been released yet?

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

This is getting Adam Sandler level reviews.

Most of the awful comedies released this year have been better reviewed.

:mellow:

I think a possible answer especially among lower paid onliine critics is that this is a backlash against Jennifer's stance on equal pay. I'm not saying they are targeting her film's consciously, but subconsciously it may be causing them not to root for her. Even the reception to Joy was strange. There is a certain pettiness to some of the reviews.  Now maybe the film is just poor. But something tells me there is more to it.  

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

How can they be hits if they have not even been released yet?

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Jurassic World sequel, The LEGO Movie 2.  If there are any guaranteed film hits in the world, its them.

15 hours ago, straggler said:

Joy performed fine. And the only reason that movie made twice its budget was Jlaw. She got a nomination out of a film that the critics did not regard too well. It is easy to draw when everything goes well. It is when it goes sideways that we see what the term means. Take her out of it and you get Our Brand Is In Crisis or Jane Got Her Gun. Someone with her stature is getting paid. And if it all comes together you have a huge hit like SLP or AH. Likely her next Oscar nomination is going to be the upcoming Aronsky film. Hopefully.   

MS perfromed like a standard Denzel Washington film.

What I am getting from the reviews is that Pratt and Lawrence come off fine. The critics are fixating on the script and how it resolves a moral issue. But if the film still makes money, then they should be credited for it.   

Joy didn't performed fine, it flopped but that doesn't have anything to do with her star power. This type of movie was an awards play that based a lot of its box office potential to WOM and oscar buzz. JLaw opened it to similar numbers with Hustle by herself. The fact that the movie didn't have enough legs to be profitable is not her fault.

Also Magnificent Seven wasn't the typical Denzel vehicle even if it performed like one. Unlike other recent over-budgetet Denzel flops who seemed like they were getting dumped even before they opened (123Pelham, Unstoppable), M7 had buzz and a big marketing blitz and Pratt as a second "big name" and it still dissapointed. It may indicates that he added nothing BO-wise but it still wasn't Pratt's movie.

That said, if Passengers goes even lower than the tracking suggests and barely break 100m it will be a knock against their pressumed BO power. The movie got a 100m+ budget because it stars JLaw and Pratt. The same script with Emily Blunt and Jake Gyllenhal would get a 50m budget. If the movie fails to break even they will get some blame even if their performances were fine and it was the director who botched the execution of a catchy concept.

24 minutes ago, straggler said:

I think a possible answer especially among lower paid onliine critics is that this is a backlash against Jennifer's stance on equal pay. 

Meryl Streep has been a long-time crusader for gender-related equal pay, but Florence Foster Jenkins still got a  86 % Fresh Rating "Critics Consensus: Florence Foster Jenkins makes poignant, crowd-pleasing dramedy out of its stranger-than-fiction tale -- and does its subject justice with a reliably terrific turn from star Meryl Streep."

Meryl's last four major films before FFJ (Suffragette, Ricki and the Flash, Into the Woods, and The Homsman) all got over 65 % fresh on RT. I doubt there's a conspiracy against poor Jen.

Edited by Cochofles

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Why did Joy have a budget of 60m? I haven't seen it, but going by the trailer it looked like it should have cost half of that.

Directed by David O. Russell and starred Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro.

I really think Sony must have screwed up when they backtracked and decided to hide the premise. It must have been preferable to face the objections earlier, rather than get it with the reviews. I realize a lot of people take issue not with the concept in and of itself but with the way it's handled, but I think those who are offended by it might have been less scathing if they'd known what they were getting.

10 minutes ago, amelin said:

I really think Sony must have screwed up when they backtracked and decided to hide the premise. It must have been preferable to face the objections earlier, rather than get it with the reviews. I realize a lot of people take issue not with the concept in and of itself but with the way it's handled, but I think those who are offended by it might have been less scathing if they'd known what they were getting.

What happens in the movie aren't big secrets or plot twists.  The movie is upfront about everything that takes place.

7 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

What happens in the movie aren't big secrets or plot twists.  The movie is upfront about everything that takes place.

I know, which is why I think they should have included it in the marketing, since it isn't a twist so much as the actual plot.

• Like 1