A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

FRIDAY 8 AM EXCLUSIVE: Universal’s Oblivion is predicted to open with $30+M this weekend after starting out strong overseas. It’s Thursday late shows and Friday midnights grossed an estimated $1,103,839 from 1,741 theaters. Hard to talk about comps because the sneaky studios keep starting their weekend previews earlier and earlier and then fold in those Thursday 7 PM and 10 PM grosses into the Friday midnight totals to pad first-day numbers. The result is that the so-called ‘midnight’ numbers have become actual ‘late show’ numbers and I’ll keep referring to them as such. I also consider them worthless for predicting strength or weakness. MORE LATER

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/tom-cruises-oblivion-late-shows-gross-1-1m/ Edited by baumer

Just saw this in IMAX 70mm. Wow! It is the best use of the format that I have seen so far. It looks as if they filmed the entire movie with IMAX cameras. I think it was shot with a Sony Digital camera but the results are beyond stunning. 

As for the actual film, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again. While it is derivative of a lot of other sci-fi films, I would be disappointed if this wasn't made for that reason. Definitely an incredible theater experience!

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

Just saw this in IMAX 70mm. Wow! It is the best use of the format that I have seen so far. It looks as if they filmed the entire movie with IMAX cameras. I think it was shot with a Sony Digital camera but the results are beyond stunning. 

As for the actual film, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again. While it is derivative of a lot of other sci-fi films, I would be disappointed if this wasn't made for that reason. Definitely an incredible theater experience!

See I was disappointed! It actually took up less of the screen then Tron did. We have a giant Imax and Oblivion used only about half of the screen. Tron used 3/4th. TDK used full.