Iron Man 3 (2013)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I was kinda confused by what the magma people could and couldn't survive, like when the suit blows up on Guy Pierce he survives but when Pepper throws that bomb thing at him he dies. And there were a couple other instances like that too.

They were apparently indestructible until it was time for the movie to end.  Akaline or Killian or whatever Pearce's name is, could pretty much survive anything.  But how did he get like that?  How was he able to turn himself into Drew Barrymore circa 1984?

• Like 3

You basically did have the same feelings about the movie as me. There are parts that are really good, then the WTF moments as well. Figured you would have about the same grade as well. Now you know why I didn't put too much in my review ;)

• Like 1

Just came back from the film. I really liked it. It wasn't better than IM or Avengers but thats a pretty hard mountain to climb. Im not going to hold it against the film if its not better than another film. I will judge the film on its own merits and whether it succeeded at what it set out to do and I thought it was fabulous. There are so many funny scenes in this movie. Robert Downey Jr was better than he's ever been. Trever was HILARIOUS. My mom laughed her ass off at every thing he said. The boot and glove sequence was amazing especially the 'wait-up' before he got the pieces. I just laughed and laughed and laughed "why did I pick this shift" "I dont even like this job!"

The people hating on the twist need to get a life.

3.5/4 stars.

• Like 2

I dont think people need to get a life if they didn't like a certain aspect of the movie....that's their prerogative not to like it.

• Like 1

What isn`t in the movie?

I cant remember anything from the trailer that King Ben said that wasnt also in his propaganda videos. I cant believe Marvel basically paid homage to all the conspiracy theories about Bin Laden being 'in' with the U.S. govt and the very popular idea that the Bin Laden videos were simply a hollywood style production. I thought that was pretty brave of the script to go in that direction and draw those paralels.

• Like 1

But the plot of the film is a big WTF...like seriously what the fuck?  The bad guys can make themselves explode or implode, or burn up or start fires or become bombs.  Then they are stronger than Iron Man and then they can survive an explosion, then they can regenerate their appendages and then they can breathe fire.  It's never really explained why they can do this and it is never really explained why Pepper can at the end.  

It was a big mess, the Extremis Arc in the Iron Man comics is pretty good, but in this movie the extremis just seemed like an excuse for the bad guys to do a lot of fun stuff with fire.

• Like 1

I dont think people need to get a life if they didn't like a certain aspect of the movie....that's their prerogative not to like it.

They need to get a life when they post ad nauseum about it. I've never seen something so little blown up so big on the fan sites the way they did. Some even went out of their way to spoil the movie because they were mad their shitty character wasnt trasnlated 100% to the comics never mind half the characters in the first movie weren't either.

• Like 1

It was a big mess, the Extremis Arc in the Iron Man comics is pretty good, but in this movie the extremis just seemed like an excuse for the bad guys to do a lot of fun stuff with fire.

So since u know the story, can u tell me why they were invincible?  And what made them combustible?

Overall a very entertaining action packed movie, which was what I was hoping for. I had to overlook the negatives : 

-3D was unnecessary.  Seemed like the only use of 3D was to give depth between 2 characters

-I didn't really understand what the bad guys were trying to do. Get Tony to fix the exploding people? Make the VP become President? They wanted to make money off wars somehow? 

-I felt the first 2 IM movies were "realistic", so I didn't like seeing semi-invincible fire people  

After just one viewing, I give it a 8.5/10

Just came back from the film. I really liked it. It wasn't better than IM or Avengers but thats a pretty hard mountain to climb. Im not going to hold it against the film if its not better than another film. I will judge the film on its own merits and whether it succeeded at what it set out to do and I thought it was fabulous. There are so many funny scenes in this movie. Robert Downey Jr was better than he's ever been. Trever was HILARIOUS. My mom laughed her ass off at every thing he said. The boot and glove sequence was amazing especially the 'wait-up' before he got the pieces. I just laughed and laughed and laughed "why did I pick this shift" "I dont even like this job!"

The people hating on the twist need to get a life.

3.5/4 stars.

I'm not really the laugh out loud type (the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while is the fight scene in Ted if that helps define my sense of humor..or lack of) and I rarely react to the humor in what is primarily an action movie the first time through. I'm hoping my second viewing tomorrow morning will fix that since the comedic elements seem to be the highlight of the film for a lot of folks.

• Like 1

I also think IM3 is an example of 'be careful what you wish for'...people claim to want 'better' stories in their super hero movies but I think things can be taken a bit too far. I loved The Avengers...it was tons of fun IMO...but let's face it...the plot was VERY simple. Barely there for most of the run time...but it gave the characters room to breathe. IM3 was very cluttered by comparison. It will be interesting to see if I pick up on more of the villain's motivation the second time through.

So since u know the story, can u tell me why they were invincible?  And what made them combustible?

It's been awhile since I read the comics....I believe it was online via their back issue subscription service but I may have picked it up from Amazon...I can't remember.  Tony pretty much gets his ass kicked by one of the Extremis test subjects and I want to say he was mauled to the point of having to inject a modified (by him) version of Extremis to save himself from his injuries.  His modified version of the serum basically makes his Iron-man suit interface part of him (it oozes out of his pores for lack of a better description)...with similar effects to the whole 'the pieces fly to him' that you see in the film.  I think him being the test subject in the comics and the fear of what it might do to him (since everyone else having used it to that point was pretty much driven batshit crazy by it) was more effective than the whole Pepper Potts get injected plot line from the film.

• Like 2

The extremis is an attempt to recreate the super soldier serum, similar to what they gave to Captain America to make him strong, The explanation is a bunch of "nano-whatever fluid that rewrites the brain", basically it's something that gives you super powers. In the comic book they actually inject this in Tony Stark and he becomes ridiculously overpowered.

• Like 1

I haven't read the comics but the movie showed enough for me. In 1999 in Switzerland at the New Years Party Tony met the scientist Maya Hansen who showed him her early research with a plant into what would eventually become Extremis. She was having problems as indicated when the plant exploded after Happy broke a bit off. The scene closed with the plant growing back from the break point. Tony left in the morning but he did jot down a few points about her research. After Tony left she sort out Killian(the scene in the elevator). He funded her research which after 10+ years became the Extremis soldiers. Extremis does stuff in the body to make it self-repairable and stronger. The process within the body creates a huge amount of heat which can be combustible. Although it's a pretty extreme concept this is a universe inhabited by the Hulk. The twist I didn't buy was Maya still turning Pepper over to Killian
  • Like 3

One thing I realized about the film on the way home was how much it did not drag. I of course already knew the run time of the film but was surprised it was so late when I got out of the theather. The film did not feel long at all. I don' t get the "pacing issues" complaints that I skimmed off of RT.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3