Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Hard to say. I'm skeptical on their kiddie appeal too, although Trek looks like it have more consistent action (just a guess though).

If anything, I'm more and more convinced that DM2 and MU will be huge if either of those movies don't suck in kids.

Biggest kiddie appeal among genre tentpoles this summer? The Man of Steel. Still think that will resonate the most with audiences coming outta this summer.

Lol there are SEVEN films already that have opened between 67.2M - 72.7M, but only three have opened above 75M.  It obviously takes a huge midnight haul or a massive day + 3D to get past that milestone......

Only film breaking opening day is TA 2 for sure.

Midnights should be like 25 ish million and day business like 65+ million. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

One big advantage for Iron Man 3. No major competition next weekend. No other tentpoles will have such a cake-walk to a repeat weekend victory this summer.

I know people who want to see Gatsby, but they aren't the target audience of IM3. Everyone who is the target audience of IM3 thinks Gatsby looks stupid and won't see it. It won't affect it much if any.

• Like 1

Biggest kiddie appeal among genre tentpoles this summer? The Man of Steel. Still think that will resonate the most with audiences coming outta this summer.

If it's good, if it's good...please let it be good! :lol:
  • Like 2

I know people who want to see Gatsby, but they aren't the target audience of IM3. Everyone who is the target audience of IM3 thinks Gatsby looks stupid and won't see it. It won't affect it much if any.

Well they always use the "Adult alternative" argument against a big blockbuster. But when has that ever happened?

Only film breaking opening day is TA 2 for sure.

Midnights should be like 25 ish million and day business like 65+ million. 

I think the "midnights" will be a lot bigger than 25. The 9PMs are going to be HUGE for TA2, we'll see a ton of parents taking their kids to them (which isn't the case for actual midnights)

• Like 1

Naah, kids are really loving the Tennessee part with the kid, the finale and of course, the mid-air rescue sequence. Doubt MoS will have so many big, fun moments for the kids.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

PACIFIC RIM if you ask me.That will be golden among kids.Transformer beating Godzilla with Titanic.... who could want anything more?

Only way TA2 wins OD is if they raise ticket prices, I have a real hard time seeing any movie coming up grossing more than HP's #

TA  had way less midnights and came within 10 million.. With inflation and previews and a bigger rush factor on Friday night, its seems even from a conservative point of view extremely likely. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

• Founder / Operator

I think the "midnights" will be a lot bigger than 25. The 9PMs are going to be HUGE for TA2, we'll see a ton of parents taking their kids to them (which isn't the case for actual midnights)

If it wasn't a school night in early May, I'd be totally on board with $30+ million.

Only way TA2 wins OD is if they raise ticket prices, I have a real hard time seeing any movie coming up grossing more than HP's #

TA2 will do it. EASILY.The question is..... can it do 100m?

Naah, kids are really loving the Tennessee part with the kid, the finale and of course, the mid-air rescue sequence. Doubt MoS will have so many fun moments for the kids.

Who is to say it won't though? Iron Man 3 was played up as being "dark, DARK, DAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!" and it wasn't (not really). And kids dug the shit outta the Dark Knight Trilogy despite their seriousness.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm not hating on the movie. I've definitely seen worse movies and I'll probably see this again. The opening day is fantastic and about $3m above what I thought it would do. Let's see where it goes.

I do agree that repeat business would be smaller than TA. I also saw TA twice at the theater but I still wanted to see it again. I saw IM3 twice and that was enough. I just disagree about how it is not appealing to the kids to the point that it won't have better legs than IM2.

Edited by catlover

Remember TA day business was 62 million and quite constrained in my area by not enough showtimes. 

TA2 will likely have the widest release ever by screen count so bigger possibility of higher Friday gross.