Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

I don't want to write PR off, but I can't see anything apart from giant mecha fighting. Why should anyone care what's happening?

Why did anyone care to watch not one but three Michael Bay Transformers movies? :P

I do think it helps sometimes (Inception and Avatar being strong examples), but it really only applies to opening weekend when the fans and "less casual" moviegoers turn out for hyped up movies. After that first Sunday, it's all about word of mouth.

It helps, but not much.Take Avatar for example. Living in US, you might think that Avatar's success may have something to do with Cameron's name because he is a well known name. But what about India? I bet you that even now if you ask every Indian about James Cameron, not more than 100,000 people will be able to tell you who he is. Avatar was so huge because of its merits, and its merits alone.

It also had loads of critics going meh over it and it fell off in a huge way domestically from its predecessor. It increased OS because of TDK goodwill + more markets + ticket price rise.

it has 87% rating for 299 reviews with average rating of 8/10. Plus every barometer of wom whether online (IMDB/Flixster etc) or cinemascore are there. While I admit it did not have the same level of reception as TDK there is no doubt about the general perception whether its critical or audience.

On its BO its run was tainted. That is all I want to say. Yet it opened to 160M and grossed 445M domestic and there is nothing about that is disappointing except inflated expectations of fans(including myself). Its OS run was great considering nolan never made anything that makes it uber OS friendly unlike marvel flicks. Batman had very limited OS appeal and TDKR at least took it to blockbuster level. It did great in english speaking countries, very well in most of asia(except japan where it did ok), did fairly well in europe and Latin america.

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

It helps, but not much.Take Avatar for example. Living in US, you might think that Avatar's success may have something to do with Cameron's name because he is a well known name. But what about India? I bet you that even now if you ask every Indian about James Cameron, not more than 100,000 people will be able to tell you who he is. Avatar was so huge because of its merits, and its merits alone.

Well, yeah. I was really only referring to North America. Worldwide, things are different on a per-country basis.

I don't think there was any way to know... last year when Avengers came out, the entire forum had 2,032 posts. So far, just with yesterday and half of today, we've had 5,498.

Are you forgetting a 0 somewhere?

Green Lantern ripped my heart out and stomped on it. Hal Jordan is my favorite DC character and I hated everything they did to him in that movie. Seeing that on opening weekend was one of the worst experiences I've had in a theater. I wanted to get up and leave any number of times and I'm sure most of the audience felt the same. Now Green Lantern is pretty much ruined for the movies.  :angry:

There is hope.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I know you're not being entirely serious, but Star Wars' advantage was that it had nothing before it. It was a throwback to serials from decades before that presumably couldn't be seen anymore and came in an era of experimentalism and cynicism. It was a film that pretended to be nothing but a fun ride and it was different for it whereas now that's really all we see. It also had a compelling story and, perhaps more importantly, memorable characters that people identified with.I don't want to write PR off, but I can't see anything apart from giant mecha fighting. Why should anyone care what's happening?

Without technology, Star Wars would have gone nowhere, the universe Lucas created was amazing but without the tools he created to make that world alive, Star Wars would have been nothing but a bleep on the radar, nothing more.

Star Wars was a technological revolution.

Edited by The Futurist

They still nearly doubled their expectations, didn't they?Sci-fi genre (especially involving aliens) has given many directors their first megahits. It might very well be Del Tero's turn.

Majority of Sci-fi actually bomb. There is nothing I have seen and nothing about the buzz that makes this look like a blockbuster. But I dont mind being proven wrong on this. Let us wait to see how the buzz is built. Currently I have not seen buzz for anything beyond MOS(may be CF but that is a sequel not coming until fall).

• Like 1

Why did anyone care to watch not one but three Michael Bay Transformers movies? :P

That is a franchise I don't think I'll ever understand. Certainly the Transformers cartoon might have brought in a few people and maybe Bay's name? It could just an aberration.As you might tell, I'm sill pretty conflicted about PR.
  • Like 1

Shawn, we clearly need a forum space for TDKR. The Batcave can't handle it.

You guys are STILL talking about it?  :o

What is there to say?

• Like 2

True. Speilberg, Nolan, Burton,Tarantino, and Bay are probably the only ones GA can recognize. But they dont come to movies for directors so it doesnt matter. They come for actors, story, characters, relevance, and effects. Edited by jandrew