Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

This is the stuff I laughed at:

Christmas Story kid

Tuna Sandwich

"I don't even like working here these guys are weird"

Banner post credit

Some Happy lines

the guy at the beginning who introduces Stark to Chinese dude, is the guy in the cave from IM1...not really funny, but chuckled 

the banter with the kid 

telling the bad guys they were going to die, and waiting for his suit to come to hi, while tied to bedspring

• Like 3

Since I'm no way in hell reading 150+ pages, especially for a superhero movie, will anyone summarize for me just how much IM3 flopped? I'm saying FLOPPED, cause this Friday number is obviously not getting it over 150m OW.

Thanks.

This comment doesn't even deserve my trademark gif reply

• Like 3

The one advantage I'm giving IM3 is that there's no major kiddie animated franchise opening during it's run. IM2 faced Shrek (a weakened Shrek, but a well-received Shrek nonetheless). IM3 has Epic...one week later than Shrek.

At this point, the family market is Trek's to lose. And if it does, it'll lose badly.

Great point there. 

Do you expect Trek to be able to attract families though?

The insane competition is more about its competitors between themselves than IM3 against them since it will have reached or nearly reach $300 millions domestic by the time STID comes into the picture (whatever its own reception) and will probably hit 1 billion ww, soon after, before FF6 is released.And it's even worst for its competitors abroad, since FF6, HGIII , AE, STID (for non English speakon markets) and MOS, are all released nearly at the same time unlike IM3 that has 4 weeks abroad with no competition bar STID in the UK and Australia next week.

Whether you like it or not TGG is competition for IM3 and if it reaches 300m in 2 weeks (which I doubt) the legs will be slashed afterwards, because star trek will take its IMAX and all 3 movies will need 3,000+ theaters. That's gotta come from somewhere and IM3 will be a casualty.

This is the stuff I laughed at:

Christmas Story kid

Tuna Sandwich

"I don't even like working here these guys are weird"

Banner post credit

Some Happy lines

the guy at the beginning who introduces Stark to Chinese dude, is the guy in the cave from IM1...not really funny, but chuckled 

the banter with the kid 

telling the bad guys they were going to die, and waiting for his suit to come to hi, while tied to bedspring

The banter with the kid was hilarious, haha

That's a solid 10-15 laughs in a 2 hr movie, you don't think that qualifies as a lot for an action movie? I'd say it does

Also

The way Happy looks in the flashback, with the long hair and the earring 

:lol: 

• Like 1

What the Absolute Fuck???  :wtf: 

Ah! He's alive and well (I presume). Good.

But tell me, BKB, how does that number disappoints ME, but not YOU?? I thought we ALL agreed that anything beneath 150m (especially for a 4 day CHEATING weekend!!!) is downright sloppy.

Edited by shayhiri

• Founder / Operator

Great point there. 

Do you expect Trek to be able to attract families though?

The last one did. Given the competition, it can't just get by this time--families (and especially parents/adults) are going to have to really like the movie. I don't see kids flocking to it by default. Then again, Iron Man has never been in too much of a different situation. It's demographic breakdowns always leaned more adult than most comic book movies in 2008 and 2010 (thanks to Downey, methinks).

• Like 1

Technically, Rentrak would be the one to send the sacrifice to since that's where Rth works. That's one of a few companies that theaters report live box office data to. Let's hope they don't find out his identity...

Has he stated he works for Rentrak!?

That's a solid 10-15 laughs in a 2 hr movie, you don't think that qualifies as a lot for an action movie? I'd say it does

Also

But I think that is fine for the humour, I'm just saying it's not consistently laugh out loud funny like some have raved it is.  

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Also

loved the humor in this one. I give it major props for that. I think I got more of the jokes than my crowd did, so it felt a little awkward. :lol:

Favorite moment:

"Seriously, I don't even wanna work for them. They are so weird!"

:rofl:

• Like 4

Whether you like it or not TGG is competition for IM3 and if it reaches 300m in 2 weeks (which I doubt) the legs will be slashed afterwards, because star trek will take its IMAX and all 3 movies will need 3,000+ theaters. That's gotta come from somewhere and IM3 will be a casualty.

I don't think TGG is a real compertition like STID is.  Sure it will  take some of its audience but a vast majority of IM3,, like kids won't.

And i am sorry, if this movie indeed opened at 160 millions, it will at least reach 280 millions by next sunday .  Add 20 millions for the next week before STID is released and you reach $300 millions.  And this by lowballing each time.

Edited by Ent