Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Though the number is amazing, I'm still not sure if this is gonna beat TDKR. And if it does, the Nolanites are ready to argue the ticket sales thing. lol

I'm not home right now so I can't confirm for sure but I had previously worked out that IM3's fri day biz was higher than Tdkr's adjusted for 3d (@50% 3d share) . Quite confident IM3's sat is higher as well. It's tdkr's massive midnight that is tough to beat.If tdkr had 50% 3d share @30% premium for 3d tickets, it would adjust to about 185M I think. At this point the gray area then becomes kid tickets share.

Oh and I forgot to say HOLY SHIT!!!! I couldn't reply before but now HOLY SHIT! I guess my original 180M predict is back in play? This sat is unprecedented even by TA standards, coz you know HOLY SHIT!!!

Well my summer game is fucked from the first movie to come out. Fantastic numbers I definitely didn't see coming at all. My 167m predict is way gone. Good for IM3, I hope ST isn't effected that much by it though :/

I knew it was going to enjoy a nice bump based off how busy it was today at my theater. We had around 6,000 admits for IM3 tonight, 4,000 2D and 2,000 3D. It did gangbusters all day, even had to add a 12:40 am show.

Damn only a 33% 3D share.. I had assumed 50%, between iirc TA'S 60% and Thor's 40%. Adjusts even better than anticipated!

This is more impressive than The Avengers first Saturday imo.

Sort of agree. Would have done only 59M if it "merely" had TA's fri day biz to sat increase. But then again TA's sat was also almost 70M which is a crazy crazy number!

My theory is that the day times for TA were already at capacity, so it couldn't increase that much with such a huge day. IM3 on the other hand underperformed during the day on Friday allowing it such a huge jump to Saturday.

• Like 1

My original prediction was 178m/451 and I have no intentions on changing it. Though the OW may be higher.If it does beat TDKR then that would be nice for both sets of fanboys. IM3 can have the crown for biggest 3rd movie though TDKR will have sold more tickets.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

My original prediction was 178m/451 and I have no intentions on changing it. Though the OW may be higher.If it does beat TDKR then that would be nice for both sets of fanboys. IM3 can have the crown for biggest 3rd movie though TDKR will have sold more tickets.

Very good initial prediction.

Mine was 163/415m, but I caved and lowered both by 10m. :(

• Like 1

My theory is that the day times for TA were already at capacity, so it couldn't increase that much with such a huge day. IM3 on the other hand underperformed during the day on Friday allowing it such a huge jump to Saturday.

I don't know though. Avengers had way more Saturday sell outs and a bigger 3D share. I'm thinking maybe IM3 had a lot more showtimes.

IM3's Saturday is the 12th biggest single day of all time. Apart from The Avengers, no movie has ever made more than 51.4m on a Saturday. Crazy.

If you don't count midnights, this might be the 2nd biggest single day of all time (beating Avengers' Friday business)! 3rd biggest is locked though.
  • Like 1