Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I loved the twist, but it's definitely not the exact same.

BB's marketing was not hyping Ken Watanabe's character to the max like IM3's marketing was hyping Kingsley's character.

Very true.

On the other hand

this fake Mandarin wasn't a total write-off like fake Ra's, and was still highly entertaining even after the reveal

But yeah, this movie will surprise a number of folks, and was marketed as something a little different than what it turned out to be.

And that's not necessarily a good thing when trying to please a hundred million people.

I don't understand. The last 15 pages suggest that it still could get mid 160's. Now 160 is out?

With 65+ OD like Rth said, it's not out, right?

No. Depends where the #s go. People are reacting to a number from hours and hours ago

Take it from someone who has been reading IM comics for a decade. Mandarin was never some major archenemy. He just happened to be the one who showed up the most among a bunch of shitty villains. There's a reason he doesn't have a single memorable arc like ala The Killing Joke or Knightfall. Mandarin was a crude racist caricature that has been re-written numerous times because writers still don't know how to go about portraying him in an acceptable unoffensive manner. Comparing Mandarin to the likes of Magneto, Doom, Loki etc is laughable.

I agree that Mandarin should under no circumstance be compared to a well known or iconic comic book villain. We have to keep in mind the general audience had no idea who Iron Man even was before 2008, let alone the Mandarin.

I loved the twist, but it's definitely not the exact same. 

BB's marketing was not hyping Ken Watanabe's character to the max like IM3's marketing was hyping Kingsley's character.

But that's the brilliance of it, mate.

It's the best commentary in the whole war on terror I've seen in any blockbuster movie to date. As a huge Iron Man fan from the comics, I applaud Marvel for making Mandarin something way more deep than his character ever was in the source material. I believe people will eventually come around to the fact that the MCU Mandarin sends a message way deeper than portraying the comic book version ever could.

And no, Mandarin isn't Iron Man's Joker, regardless if Batman or Iron Man fanboys say about the subject. Stark has always been his worst enemy, and that's why the character is so great.

I agree that Mandarin should under no circumstance be compared to a well known or iconic comic book villain. We have to keep in mind the general audience had no idea who Iron Man even was before 2008, let alone the Mandarin.

No shit.

• Like 2

With a 64 M Fri including Thursdays 9 pm shows?

That was the BOG number from hours ago. Rth has said 65M looks strong with lean towards higher gross so 160M is still very much alive. 

It's headed for bigger than 64, possibly much bigger. It was already at 33 as of 5 PM Central and it's possible it could go as high as 75 by the time the night is over.

That's an extreme reach, unless you're calling Rth out. ;)

• Like 1

That was the BOG number from hours ago. Rth has said 65M looks strong with lean towards higher gross so 160M is still very much alive. 

My final predict was 166 M. I have the feeling though it will fall short.

That's an extreme reach, unless you're calling Rth out. ;)

Rth said 65+. His first update for TA was 70+  :P

Let's remember these same outlets that are reporting low 60's underestimated TA and TF3, too. Because, for whatever reason, late shows are stronger on the West Coast for these big action movies

• Like 3