baumer

The History of the Opening Weekend Record Holders (1980-current)

Amazing how DH2's OD will end up staying on top for four years. In admissions, it is also the first film in history to sell more than 10m tickets in a single day.

It is I think only film with any real chance in the next few years is TA2. 

However that will be a more back loaded weekend so I have doubts there. 

Amazing how DH2's OD will end up staying on top for four years. In admissions, it is also the first film in history to sell more than 10m tickets in a single day.

I think that record will be staying there indefinitely. I doubt the avengers can beat it on Friday. I doubt the OW record it set in the UK will be broken in the next decade either.
  • Like 1

I remember the opening weekend of DH2 in our country, people went nuts. And i have seen the domestic record no's it created in U.S & worldwide through some of the websites and the news channels..

For IM3 my anticipation was in fever pitch & shocked by the OW no's of IRON MAN 3-175m..WOW. 

As someone who has contributed to a number of the opening weekend records down under, it's surprising while we did follow some of these films, the ones that dominated for so long in australia belonged to the lord the of rings.  

Myself, my first real introduction to box office tracking was around the the first lord of the rings.... and i do remember the amazing number that spidey put up .. though at the time i had my money on star wars 2 breaking that record, it was a big shock to see SM1 break it instead.

for comparison here is the Australian Weekend Holders over the years (FYI - take a ratio of 10 x the OW in AUD is approx equiv to the US amount)

PS star wars was never really that big on OW down under hence why it never appears until 99.

(all Openings are 4 day weekends thursday to sunday unless noted)

1981-12 Mad Max II 324k

1983-03 Tootsie 433k

1984-11 Ghostbusters 536k

1985-04 Beverly Hills Cop 607k

1985-07 Rambo: First Blood Part II 870k

1986-04 Crocodile Dundee 1.4m

1988-05 Crocodile Dundee II 2.0m

1989-06 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 2.1m

1989-08 Batman 2.4m

1991-09 Terminator 2: Judgement Day 2.4m (only beat it by 28k!)

1993-01 The Bodyguard 2.7m

1993-09 Jurassic Park 4.9m

1996-06 Twister 4.9m (only 25k higher)

1996-08 Independence Day 7.7m

1999-06 Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 9.1m

2001-11 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 9.3m

2001-12 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 9.8m ** 13.8m 5 day OW including wednesday.

2002-05 Star Wars: Attack of the Clones 12.0m

2002-12 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 14.1m ** also broke the OD record previously owned by Clones **

** Return of the King broke the OD record but failed to break the OW record a year later due to opening on friday **

** big gap until new OW set now.

2009-07 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 14.3m ** 18.7m 5 day OW including wednesday / did not break OD record.

2009-11 The Twilight Saga: New Moon 16.1m (did not break OD record though)

2011-07 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II 18.4m ** 25.5m including wednesday / smashed OD record (7m)

both OW and OD records stand to this day - only Avengers & The Hobbit have come close to date to the OD record.  Not expecting the 3rd hobbit to come close as it's suffering from the same problem as the return of the king had - 3 day OW though the OD is a possibility here.  The Avengers 2 is possible if the studio opens it on a thursday instead of the wednesday opening it got last time around.  Also Avengers 2 opens on the 23rd april ( A week ahead of the US to take avantage of the Anzac Day long Weekend in Australia.)

Edited by Jajang and Back Again
  • Like 2

There Is no way BvS breaks the OW record. If it's lucky it well open similarly to TDK but probably under.

I don't think it'll break the OW record either. Unless something happens such as critics see this a month early and receivers Avengers level praise and hype. For now, I think o/u March OW record is more reasonable (152M) rather than all time opening weekend.
  • Like 1

Harry Potter PS, POTC:DMC, TDK, Shrek 2, Spider-man, Deathly Hallows PART 2 and Matrix Reloaded are the only opening weekends that I can truly remember on BOM.

I know The Avengers OW is a amazing result but I honestly was never really moved by it. Almost like I expected it to be huge from the get go. 

• Like 1

Reality is that Hollywood is about money and superhero films with established name brands generate guaranteed cash flows unlike any other films. 

The big thing about superhero films is the growing overseas markets. 

Look at DOFP.... It made half a billion overseas, other X-men films made less then 400 million WW. 

Like look at the future release date for the Marvel films.

TA2: 1.5 billion WW minimum

CA3: 750 million WW min

Thor 3: 700 million WW min

GOTG2: 750 million WW min 

Avengers 3 1-2: 1.5 billion WW min a piece

Edited by Lordmandeep