John Marston

how come movie studios don't mind local libraries letting people check out movies for free?

My local library allows you to check out movies and TV Shows on DVD and Blu ray for free. The only exception are new movies/TV shows where you have to pay 2 dollars but after three months those are free too. 99% of the time I want a movie or TV show my library seems to have it. Other libraries clearly do this too. Makes me wonder why studios don't seem to have a problem with libraries letting loads of people watch movies and TV show  for free. 

My local library allows you to check out movies and TV Shows on DVD and Blu ray for free. The only exception are new movies/TV shows where you have to pay 2 dollars but after three months those are free too. 99% of the time I want a movie or TV show my library seems to have it. Other libraries clearly do this too. Makes me wonder why studios don't seem to have a problem with libraries letting loads of people watch movies and TV show  for free. 

The same reason publishers have to allow used bookstores to exist.

• Like 1

I don't know really if that can be answered concretely. Youre right: I cant watch 24 on Netflix anymore, I'd have to get an Amazon Prime account $99/year to watch (which I'm not gonna). Yet I found out I can go to the county library and check out all the seasons for free. I think a library card is like 10 cents or something.

I don't know why that is, but I'm not gonna question it. And I don't think it's as prevalant as it looks. I used to rent movies from the library all the time when I was child (they were all order), but Blockbuster was still my #1 choice. I don't know anyone know who actively uses the library for movies. Netflix, HBO, and pirating seem like clearer options. It is an interesting question, but I don't really think theres an answer. Probably because it's legal, and not as prevalent as youd think. Well and what Tele said.

Edited by Jandrew

• Community Manager

Your local library used it's budget to purchase a copy of that movie. Once they have it, it belongs to them and they can basically lend it to patrons. The library can't knowingly lend the movie if it's to be used in a non-educational public performance and they can't lend them to patrons who plan to make copies of them-likewise the library can't make a copy of the movie. If they need a new copy, they need to buy a new one.

I imagine the $2 fee is to cover the cost of the movie but I'd be surprised if any of it makes it back to the studio. Remember, libraries tend to be non-profit.

• Like 1

Explain

Studios rather make money off there films then let people borrow them from a library for free you know.

edit: Read this question wrong.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

You get free films from your library?? :(

Here, books are free to take out but movies cost a few £ each. It gets expensive when you compare it to something like Netflix which for the price of 2 or 3 library movies will give you thousands more films.

Really? my College library has a pretty big selection of movies all free but you can only keep them for a day unless its the weekend, all though I seem to get away with longer all the time. haha. Game of Thrones is there too. 

my library has a ton of movies, and none of them cost. Its all free. Even new releases. And you can keep them for 3 days. I think its crazy that a library would charge you to borrow a movie.

I wouldn't even have a problem with it, if they would charge the same for books as well. But they don't - and I don't understand why different mediums should be treated differently.

I received a reply from the Chicago Public Library's "Ask a Librarian" service:

Libraries are legally allowed to loan or rent DVD or Video recordings. Here is a description of this right from the American Library Association website:

The Copyright Act of 1976 governs the rights of reproduction, adaptation, distribution, and public performance and display. Several sections of this act have implications for videocassettes, DVDs and computer file formats. 

When libraries purchase a videocassette or a DVD, or make a video file accessible to patrons for a specific rental period, they own the physical object but not the copyright. Copyright law, therefore, determines what libraries can and cannot do with the videotapes/DVDs/video files they own without infringing upon the copyright they do not own. However, the law also includes exceptions and limitations to the exclusive rights of the rights holder that allow libraries to lend, preserve and replace videos and allow non-profit educational institutions the right to publicly perform videos in the face-to-face classroom, and under certain conditions, in the distance educational classroom via digital networks. When libraries want to use a videotape/DVD/video file in such a way that would infringe upon the copyright, permission must be sought from rights holder in the form of a license agreement. Permission fees are likely. (See #4 below.)

1. Loan/Rental of Video
Libraries may loan/rent videos, in whatever available format, to patrons for their personal use. This is true even if the video is labeled "For Home Use Only." The first sale exception (§109) copyright allows an owner of a work to lend, rent or other depose of the work. Because of this, libraries can lend, people can sell videos or books at their garage sale, Amazon call sell new and used books, and second hand book stores are a legitimate business..

http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet07

The only mention in the Fact Sheet about the movie industry concerns performance rights. 

4. Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) and Movie Licensing USA 

Unless a library purchases a video that comes with public performance rights, it is a copyright infringement for the library to use that video for in-house viewing or programs. Typically, the videos and DVDs purchased through normal retail channels or from video rental stores do not carry the necessary public performance rights, and it will be necessary to obtain those rights in writing from the copyright holder or from a licensing agent. If your library or school plans to show videos frequently, you may wish to consider a site license. 

I hope this answers some of your questions about movies that libraries loan. 

Reference Librarian, Visual & Performing Arts, Chicago Public Library. 

• Like 1

I received a reply from the Chicago Public Library's "Ask a Librarian" service:

Libraries are legally allowed to loan or rent DVD or Video recordings. Here is a description of this right from the American Library Association website:

The Copyright Act of 1976 governs the rights of reproduction, adaptation, distribution, and public performance and display. Several sections of this act have implications for videocassettes, DVDs and computer file formats. 

When libraries purchase a videocassette or a DVD, or make a video file accessible to patrons for a specific rental period, they own the physical object but not the copyright. Copyright law, therefore, determines what libraries can and cannot do with the videotapes/DVDs/video files they own without infringing upon the copyright they do not own. However, the law also includes exceptions and limitations to the exclusive rights of the rights holder that allow libraries to lend, preserve and replace videos and allow non-profit educational institutions the right to publicly perform videos in the face-to-face classroom, and under certain conditions, in the distance educational classroom via digital networks. When libraries want to use a videotape/DVD/video file in such a way that would infringe upon the copyright, permission must be sought from rights holder in the form of a license agreement. Permission fees are likely. (See #4 below.)

1. Loan/Rental of Video

Libraries may loan/rent videos, in whatever available format, to patrons for their personal use. This is true even if the video is labeled "For Home Use Only." The first sale exception (§109) copyright allows an owner of a work to lend, rent or other depose of the work. Because of this, libraries can lend, people can sell videos or books at their garage sale, Amazon call sell new and used books, and second hand book stores are a legitimate business.. 

http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet07

The only mention in the Fact Sheet about the movie industry concerns performance rights. 

4. Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) and Movie Licensing USA 

Unless a library purchases a video that comes with public performance rights, it is a copyright infringement for the library to use that video for in-house viewing or programs. Typically, the videos and DVDs purchased through normal retail channels or from video rental stores do not carry the necessary public performance rights, and it will be necessary to obtain those rights in writing from the copyright holder or from a licensing agent. If your library or school plans to show videos frequently, you may wish to consider a site license. 

I hope this answers some of your questions about movies that libraries loan. 

Reference Librarian, Visual & Performing Arts, Chicago Public Library. 

thank you  for asking