Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

grim22

Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

256 posts in this topic

I remember reading about this movie like...late 1990s?  Amazed it's actually happening.

I hope Statham round house kicks the shark.  I hope Fan BingBing has a proper large role too.

45 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So this is opening against PREDATOR.

Unless they change the date

I've been wanting this movie to be made for years.  I guess it's finally time for me to read the book.  I'm not sure why Roth left but Turtletaub is good as well.  I hope they do this right.  Shark movies are awesome and they are so much fun.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I've been wanting this movie to be made for years.  I guess it's finally time for me to read the book.  I'm not sure why Roth left but Turtletaub is good as well.  I hope they do this right.  Shark movies are awesome and they are so much fun.

Im guessing the studio finally got around to watch his movies.

And I like Roth!  But...yeah.  Not at that price.

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

Im guessing the studio finally got around to watch his movies.

And I like Roth!  But...yeah.  Not at that price.

Well, there are tons of directors who were given huge budgets and they had no real experience with big budgets...Treverrow, Whedon for Avengers, The Wachowskis when they did the Matrix....Spielberg when he did Jaws and you can keep going down the list.  Roth is a fine director imo and I think he could have done something interesting with this film.

15 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well, there are tons of directors who were given huge budgets and they had no real experience with big budgets...Treverrow, Whedon for Avengers, The Wachowskis when they did the Matrix....Spielberg when he did Jaws and you can keep going down the list.  Roth is a fine director imo and I think he could have done something interesting with this film.

Yeah well, I'm just dealing with the fact I was excited to see Roth do this.  Cause I was.  So, I just put on my "if I were a Hollywood suit!" Hat and feel...better?

Turtletaub is a much safer bet for a studio. Probably ensures the movie feels like other shark-hunting/hunter movies, but I guess that's not horrible either. 

If Statham doesn't kick the shark, it's a lost opportunity, though. 

4 people like this

8 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Yeah well, I'm just dealing with the fact I was excited to see Roth do this.  Cause I was.  So, I just put on my "if I were a Hollywood suit!" Hat and feel...better?

Yep...much better. :)

47 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Unless they change the date

It will depend on PREDATOR's rating. But even if it ends up rated R, I think it will still be affected.

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Yep...much better. :)

Roth would've made a more interesting movie, Im sure.  But oh well.

1 person likes this

But since we aren't getting Roth...Turteltaub, just hire Nic Cage.  For something, anything, let him voice the fucking shark.  And make the Sharks face look like Nic Cage.

Seriously these are good ideas.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I have incredibly high hopes for this, but that ending in the Novel under no circumstances can be used in the movie.. When you read the Novel, you'll know what I'm talking about.. Also, I'm hoping they actually spend some $$$$ on this given that pretty much, the whole movie will be CGI right down to the water.. At least 300M Should be spent on this to make it look good and separate it from the SyFy Channel Schlock..

1 person likes this

I am on Team PREDATOR if they both stick to same release date.

1 person likes this

Team Meg!

1 person likes this

On 3 June 2015 at 7:37 AM, jandrew said:

OOKfLm6o_400x400.jpeg

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I am on Team PREDATOR if they both stick to same release date.

We've already seen a PREDATOR Reboot as well as 2 other PREDATOR movies, even if they are older movies, but MEG?? This is 20 Years in the Making and it's either that or studios are afraid to make a Giant Shark movie for fear of everyone bagging on it cause of JAWS.. Thank God  we have a studio willing to give this a shot, but they have to take it seriously and when the trailer or teaser comes, they shouldn't show us what it looks like to maintain element of surprise like JAWS did and how you never saw the shark til later in the movie... What you don't see or can't see scares you the most..

Edited by BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA

I wonder if they're still going with the FX House used when they made Ron Howards, "IN THE HEART OF THE SEA" and how good the Moby Dick FX looked, how real they looked cause if so, that would make me a happy camper..

8f788aa519d12dcbd473dbca62442330.jpg

And if I could have a scene like this in the upcoming movie, that would also make me happy as well..

4843452_hostel-director-to-take-on-giant

Edited by BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA

So does this mean we'll get a MEG 225m OW club? :P

1 person likes this

I've been waiting for this blockbuster since 2000....2003....2005....07.....09.....we'll get there.