Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

if fences is really good i can def see an easy win for denzel. there doesn't seem to be a big stunt "look how hard that must've been" performance to win this year like mcconaughey or leo or redmayne and denzel's playing a big "every scene is an oscar clip" type of character.

Current predictions:

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Andrew Garfield, Silence

Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Jake Gyllenhaal, Nocturnal Animals

Denzel Washington, Fences

Dang, that's a young list for this category's standards. I'm still not sold on Billy Lynn guy (the precedent for Best Picture nominees with 20-something leads in this category are not in its favor), Edgerton could loose steam (especially if Loving goes nowhere in the end), and Hanks is obviously no guarantee for anything anymore.

• Like 1

Has anyone here been to the press screenings of Passengers? and if so what did you think of Pratt performance? does he stand a chance? It seems like the first film he has been in that could really test his acting abilities. 

4 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Has anyone here been to the press screenings of Passengers? and if so what did you think of Pratt performance? does he stand a chance? It seems like the first film he has been in that could really test his acting abilities. 

Based on everything that's been heard, Passengers isn't a contender for anything beyond techs.

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I suspect Affleck will win the most critics' awards but lose the Oscar. Still it's gonna be between him and Denzel. 

Considering whats going on with Nate Parker I think it's also going to get a bit messy for Affleck and his not so pleasant sexual history.  

Since Best Actor is almost always a competitive category and one that tends to skew older he might not even make the cut with Gosling and even Gyllenhall as possibilities.

The one I'm really stumped on is the Billy Lynn guy making his movie debut. The movie is really gonna have to become a frontrunner for him to have a chance given how tricky it is for under 30 actors to get into this category. Here are all the Best Picture nominees since 2000 that have had under 30 leads:

The 3 Lord of the Rings movies (Elijah Wood)

Gangs of New York (Leonardo DiCaprio)

The Pianist (Adrien Brody)

Seabiscuit (Tobey Maguire)

Brokeback Mountain (Heath Ledger along with the fraudulently-put-in-Supporting Jake Gyllenhaal)

Atonement (James McAvoy)

Slumdog Millionaire (Dev Patel, who was fraudulently campaigned in Supporting)

The Social Network (Jesse Eisenberg)

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Thomas Horn)

Hugo (Asa Butterfield)

The Tree of Life (Hunter McCracken)

War Horse (Jeremy Irvine)

Life of Pi (Suraj Sharma)

Boyhood (Ellar Coltrane)

Whiplash (Miles Teller)

Room (Jacob Tremblay, who was also fraudulently campaigned in Supporting)

Brody (who won), Ledger (plus Gyllenhaal), and Eisenberg are the only ones out of that group to receive nominations, and all of them were in movies that were close to winning BP, so he definitely has his work cut out for him. Even though to be fair, you can easily explain why the people who didn't get nominated didn't make it: some (Butterfield, Horn, McCracken, Tremblay (SAG nomination aside), and due to the way Boyhood was made, Coltrane) were never really in the conversation due to their ages, while the others (Wood, Leo, Maguire, McAvoy, Patel, Irvine, Sharma, Teller) didn't have strong enough reviews to take out much more seasoned contenders.

Besides Denzel and Casey Affleck, anything can still happen, with possible contenders such as Gyllenhal, Hanks, Gosling, Edgerton or Garfield.

Names that can surprise and get traction

Dev Patel - Lion (diversity. Weinstein)

Oyelowo - A united kingdom (diversity)

Cranston - Wakefield (Illness. It's Cranston, you remember Trumbo?)

8 minutes ago, stripe said:

Besides Denzel and Casey Affleck, anything can still happen, with possible contenders such as Gyllenhal, Hanks, Gosling, Edgerton or Garfield.

Names that can surprise and get traction

Dev Patel - Lion (diversity. Weinstein)

Oyelowo - A united kingdom (diversity)

Cranston - Wakefield (Illness. It's Cranston, you remember Trumbo?)

Wakefield screened at Telluride and got a mixed response. Movie's still without a distributor too. You can safely cross it off.

Also, I think Gosling is very much in alongside Denzel and Affleck. La La Land is looking to be a major contender.

Trumbo also got mixed response and low BO but Cranston still got nommed over Tom Hanks (BoS), Michael Keaton (Spotlight) or Michael Caine (Youth).

I have only read one review (from Hollywood reporter) and it underlines the excelent acting by Cranston.

The most worrying thing about Wakefield isd the lack of distributor. 

6 minutes ago, stripe said:

Trumbo also got mixed response and low BO but Cranston still got nommed over Tom Hanks (BoS), Michael Keaton (Spotlight) or Michael Caine (Youth).

I have only read one review (from Hollywood reporter) and it underlines the excelent acting by Cranston.

The most worrying thing about Wakefield isd the lack of distributor. 

Trumbo was the kind of movie the industry eats up (Hollywood!). Wakefield is not.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:03 PM, TalismanRing said:

Considering whats going on with Nate Parker I think it's also going to get a bit messy for Affleck and his not so pleasant sexual history.  

Since Best Actor is almost always a competitive category and one that tends to skew older he might not even make the cut with Gosling and even Gyllenhall as possibilities.

What are you talking about with Affleck?