Alli

Weekend Numbers: Thursday Previews - INFERNO: $800k

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, at the end of the day, Ron Howard is the guy responsible for A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, Rush, Apollo fucking 13 (one of the best sci-fi's EVER)... yeah, he tainted his legacy w/the Dan Brown trilogy and In The Heart Of The Shit, but still, he's Ron Howard, he doesn't need to do much else for his place in the Hollywood director stars to be set.

Sure, no one dispute his legacy. But the point being made is that is career is basically tanked right now. He won't get another 100 million budget movie any time soon. He will have to build his goodwill back up again, or maybe he will just fade away. I think it is fair to say his career might be over in terms of being an a-list director. Doesn't take away what he did in the past.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, at the end of the day, Ron Howard is the guy responsible for A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, Rush, Apollo fucking 13 (one of the best sci-fi's EVER)... yeah, he tainted his legacy w/the Dan Brown trilogy and In The Heart Of The Shit, but still, he's Ron Howard, he doesn't need to do much else for his place in the Hollywood director stars to be set.

lol what? since when is Apollo 13 a sci-fi movie?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Sure, no one dispute his legacy. But the point being made is that is career is basically tanked right now. He won't get another 100 million budget movie any time soon. He will have to build his goodwill back up again, or maybe he will just fade away. I think it is fair to say his career might be over in terms of being an a-list director. Doesn't take away what he did in the past.

Yeah, I get your point. But hey, I thought Jon Favreau was done w/big budget films after Iron Man 2 and especially Cowboys & Aliens, and then he built his reputation back w/Chef, and THEN he gave us The Jungle Book. Comebacks are always possible. Though yeah, I don't think anybody will take Howard that seriously anymore.

3 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

lol what? since when is Apollo 13 a sci-fi movie?

Fuck's sake... it's a work of fiction, it's not a documentary, so I like to call it a sci-fi. But alas, just for you, it's one of the best... science docudramas ever made. There. Happy now?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Overseas will save Inferno so i dont care too much about it's domestic haul.

Mostly true. Both Da Vinci and Angels has a 30/70 dom/international split. The series is def making its money on international.

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, I get your point. But hey, I thought Jon Favreau was done w/big budget films after Iron Man 2 and especially Cowboys & Aliens, and then he built his reputation back w/Chef, and THEN he gave us The Jungle Book. Comebacks are always possible. Though yeah, I don't think anybody will take Howard that seriously anymore.

Fuck's sake... it's a work of fiction, it's not a documentary, so I like to call it a sci-fi. But alas, just for you, it's one of the best... science docudramas ever made. There. Happy now?

docudrama?

No, it's a historical drama... jeez. Just because it's set in space (which by the way is a real place) doesn't make it science fiction.

Science fiction is about fictional science, not fiction/dramatisation that relates to scientific news/stories. Especially when it's a real story.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure Inferno was always supposed to be a domestic sacrificial lamb. It's telling this one got dumped on some random end-of-October weekend when the first two received prime summer spots.

The lower budget suggests that  Sony knew it wasn't going to make money domestic, it's already over $100m OS so it'll be profitable even with a low domestic total

Just now, John Marston said:

problem is now that Sony seems to have no franchises. I guess they won't adapt the next Langdon book unless they can do it dirt cheap

They'll still distribute Spidey. They're working on a new MIB (both a Jump Street mash-up or a regular version just in case) and they will fight to keep Bond (tho that is a long shot, granted). Not an ideal position but hardly "no franchises"

• Like 1

Just now, Kraken said:

They'll still distribute Spidey. They're working on a new MIB (both a Jump Street mash-up or a regular version just in case) and they will fight to keep Bond (tho that is a long shot, granted). Not an ideal position but hardly "no franchises"

I have a feeling that Bond will go to Warner Bros, Sony made very little profit despite funding the majority of the budget and handling P&A

Just now, Jonwo said:

I have a feeling that Bond will go to Warner Bros, Sony made very little profit despite funding the majority of the budget and handling P&A

Yeah it looks like Warner or maaaaybbeee Universal.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

:WHATanabe:

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

MGM have a better relationship with WB, they haven't yet partnered on a film with Universal

I agree that WB is by far the main contender but I count Uni as a long shot since they seem to be very aggressive with their portfolio expansion lately (the Dreamworks deal, buying DA) so I can see them giving it a shot.

• Like 1