Mockingjay Raphael

Horror 2017

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I watched The Belko Experiment. It was one of these cases where a direction elevates an awful screenplay, despite some incoherences, awful dialogues and a ridiculous climax, the movie works well thanks to great action and an amazing atmosphere built by the director. Did anyone watch it?

I also (tried) to watch Raw, but it was so deplorable that I didn't even finished it.

I was tempted by the initial reviews, but then I heard kinda poor things, so I passed. I might still catch it at some point on DVD if the chance comes up. The trailers certainly looked promising. 

1 minute ago, Kalderic said:

Anyone notice that Annabelle:Creation is off to a swimming start on RT... 100% after the first 10 reviews. Looks like another win for 2017 horror, and the conjuring franchise! The Conjuring looks to be a franchise that just can't stop... barring the first Annabelle that is... lol

Yep! Second year on a row where we have a bunch of acclaimed Horror movies, the genre surely has became a darling for critics. I just wish we had a better summer considering how fantastic last summer was for the genre, but I'm pretty sure that A:C is going to dominate August, since it will be the only blockbuster of this month.

IKR? TCU is like the most consistent Universe working right now, even MCU had a bunch of mediocre movies with mediocre reviews, but, despite the first Annabelle, every movie is being acclaimed, Warner clearly knows how to work with the Horror genre!

10 minutes ago, Kalderic said:

Belko. I honestly have not a clue what Raw even is.

If you enjoy slasher movies, then you need to watch this. It works perfectly well when it comes to deaths, as I said, the atmosphere is fantastic, truly claustrophobic. My biggest issue with this movie is that it could have been way better with a better writer, it could work as a social commentary in so many levels, but the movie prefers to focus in the action than in the ideas. But I guess I'm expecting too much from the "writer" of Guardians of Galaxy 2. 

14 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Yeah, so far it's been a pretty terrible year for the horror genre compared to what we got in 2016.

WHAAAAAAAAT? Split and Get Out are both in the top 10 of all time for the genre. Both movies were acclaimed by critics, had amazing legs, and Get Out has big chances at getting Oscar nominations (it would be the first one since THE SIXTH SENSE). Both movies had huge cultural impact, and I'm pretty sure they'll be atemporal. We still have A:C and IT coming, two movies that are locked to explode, with IT having high chances at breaking records. Surely, summer hasn't been so good as last year, but the year has been phenomenal so far. 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

WHAAAAAAAAT? Split and Get Out are both in the top 10 of all time for the genre. Both movies were acclaimed by critics, had amazing legs, and Get Out has big chances at getting Oscar nominations (it would be the first one since THE SIXTH SENSE). Both movies had huge cultural impact, and I'm pretty sure they'll be atemporal. We still have A:C and IT coming, two movies that are locked to explode, with IT having high chances at breaking records. Surely, summer hasn't been so good as last year, but the year has been phenomenal so far. 

The bad ones really overshadow the good ones in my mind. I forget that Split came out THIS YEAR because it came near the very beginning of it.

4 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

The bad ones really overshadow the good ones in my mind. I forget that Split came out THIS YEAR because it came near the very beginning of it.

Well, we had this year:

Good/Great:

Get Out
Split
It Comes At Night

Bad:

Rings
The Bye Bye Man

Pretty balanced so far!