WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

The spring break impact this week isn't going to skew the numbers that great to make 1.5m for Boss Baby seem front loaded - been preaching for weeks (and what feels like months) that this film has been under predicted and it looks like I and several others are going to be right.

#1 for the Weekend maybe about 52m (Home also had Spring Break skewing it's previews) unless the age skew due to Baldwin is such that it plays like an adult film.... which I just can't see.

• Like 1

Let's be honest, without Scarlett this movie would've been a monumental flop, nobody would've cared about this film if it had an unknown lead actress. ScarJo's star power is saving this movie from total embarrasment.

Edited by Marcus Cato
  • Like 1

Boss Baby doing well sounds like it is bad news for the second weekend hold for Power Rangers.  It is this weekend, more so than the opening one, that I thought would define the Power Rangers theatrical run.  I'm not sure even some of the positive fan reactions to the movie last week will keep it from a steep drop if other movies are doing well.

lol, what kind of bizarre world is this where I'm seeing people celebrate a $1.8M Thursday number and $20M opening weekend? These numbers are bad and they should feel bad. Were people really expecting under $1M previews and under $20M weekend? That's nearly as preposterous as those people who thought GITS could've cracked $50M OW a few weeks ago. 

Its so weird. When I first saw a preview for Boss Baby, I thought "That might actually be funny". But everything I've seen since then has been mediocre and there didn't feel like a lot of buzz.

And now its a monster. Its so weird. I guess I'm just not in the target market for its advertising.

7 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Let's be honest, without Scarlett this movie would've been a monumental flop, nobody would've cared about this film if it had an unknown lead actress. ScarJo's star power is saving this movie from total embarrasment.

No offense but if this movie opens to $25M it might as well be a flop. Without Scarjo this film wouldn't have the pretty big $110M budget so it kind of goes both ways in that regard. You can't really say it would have been a monumental flop because 1) you don't know what kind of budget it would have had 2) You don't know which way the direction of the story would have went and 3) Depending on number 2, it could have gotten way better reviews and thus caught the attention of the GA

Bottomline is we don't know what would have happened with Scarjo not it.

Last week if PR opened to $25M, people would have called it a bomb but GITS with a similar budget opening to $15M less is suddenly not considered a flop? I know GITS will do better internationally than PR but still. 

• Like 3

Just now, Wrath said:

Its so weird. When I first saw a preview for Boss Baby, I thought "That might actually be funny". But everything I've seen since then has been mediocre and there didn't feel like a lot of buzz.

And now its a monster. Its so weird. I guess I'm just not in the target market for its advertising.

Boss Baby always got crazy reactions whenever the trailer played in the theater. I'm not too surprised that it's going to do well. 

• Like 1

Yeh $20-25m for the $110m ScarJo starring Ghost in the Shell isn't good.

Especially when she opened the weird looking $40m Lucy to $45m+. 

Paramount would've been hoping for numbers like that. 

Plus, tracking was low 30's. 

15 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

lol, what kind of bizarre world is this where I'm seeing people celebrate a $1.8M Thursday number and $20M opening weekend? These numbers are bad and they should feel bad. Were people really expecting under $1M previews and under $20M weekend? That's nearly as preposterous as those people who thought GITS could've cracked $50M OW a few weeks ago. 

Alot of people were expecting the mid to high teens recently.

A 25 m OW is decent by comparison.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh $20-25m for the $110m ScarJo starring Ghost in the Shell isn't good.

Especially when she opened the weird looking $40m Lucy to $45m+. 

Paramount would've been hoping for numbers like that. 

Plus, tracking was low 30's. 

It might end up closer to 30 m OW than 20 m OW.

I don't know many people who expected a somewhat obscure anime adaptation to outgross Lucy.

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

No offense but if this movie opens to $25M it might as well be a flop. Without Scarjo this film wouldn't have the pretty big $110M budget so it kind of goes both ways in that regard. You can't really say it would have been a monumental flop because 1) you don't know what kind of budget it would have had 2) You don't know which way the direction of the story would have went and 3) Depending on number 2, it could have gotten way better reviews and thus caught the attention of the GA

Bottomline is we don't know what would have happened with Scarjo not it.

Last week if PR opened to $25M, people would have called it a bomb but GITS with a similar budget opening to $15M less is suddenly not considered a flop? I know GITS will do better internationally than PR but still. 

Yeah, seems like their a double standard going on. Also couldn't the 1.8M be front loaded just like some claimed PR number was front loaded last week. GITS is also what some called a fanboy movie. Since it based off an anime.