Plain Old Tele

Fate of the Furious (aka Furious 8) (2017)

F8 of the Furious (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Angry Vin for Oscars 2018. Seriously what a great Return to form for him.

In all seriousness I just don't fucking know anymore hahaha Its so bad and absurd but I laughed the whole time and had a smile on my face. Lots of moments that pushed it too far, mainly because its starting to get hard to tell for me at least if Im supposed to laugh this hard or not haha. 

The Han thing really bothered me and I hate the flashing back shit to show how Shaw was alive, so unneeded. However we do get a good proper 3rd act this time. Also there are too many pointless callbacks to previous films that are basically breaking the 4th wall. I also don't like the Villain getting away and it seemed like no one cared. 

And wtf Hobbs straight up MURDERED that dude in the prison hahaha 

Gonna do an hour long podcast for this so no need for a long review, gonna talk this to death. 

But I'll say C (75) for now. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

the good guys do kill a lot of innocent people in these movies.

Prisoners ain't innocent!

But yeah, wtf, throwing a wrecking ball at the German Police, what was up that?

Dom gets away with everything though, scot free, Magneto X-Men Apoc style

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Prisoners ain't innocent!

But yeah, wtf, throwing a wrecking ball at the German Police, what was up that?

Dom gets away with everything though, scot free, Magneto X-Men Apoc style

The dudes guarding that Russian facility as well.

Letty throwing a guard into a spinning submarine propeller then making a joke about it was particularly :depp:

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

The dudes guarding that Russian facility as well.

Letty throwing the guard into a spinning submarine propeller then making a joke about it was particularly :depp:

I think the Russian Facility was full of Russian Separatists/Terrorists so they probably weren't exactly 'good.' They hijacked that Russian base to steal that sub. That's what Kurt Russell was saying

• Like 2

Yes those Russian guys were definitely separatists and not good people. Plus that big Russian dude was trying to kill Letty. So it was either her or him.

• Like 1

there have been chase scenes in the last couple movies where they 100% kill a bunch of people yeah. it's a family of sociopaths that's been pretty well established. everyone who isn't family can get burned alive for all they care. showcased here by dom willing to let entire countries be nuked just to save his side chick.

• Like 3

Well... they didn't defy the laws of physics too much... that's a plus... I guess...

However, two things got to me that I just... sigh... cannot get over.  #1 - In Cuba, there is no way that Dom could go reverse as fast as a car going in drive; transmissions just don't work that way (yes, they defy the laws of physics in every movie, but for a series based on Street Racing, some mechanics has to be involved).

And #2 - Now that Dom has a kid, they have to figure out a way to bring back Mia and Brian back into the fold.  Family... right?  Dom's son needs to know his cousins and Aunt and Uncle.  What are they doing to do?

Anyway, silly nonsense of a movie.  I give it a C-.

• Like 2

Still a fun ride, but this is definitely the weakest entry in the franchise since the fourth movie (Fast & Furious). Most of it makes zero sense, and it's all starting to feel a bit rote after going at it for more than a decade and a half, but there are still a number of exhilarating set pieces (my favorite: Jason Statham's hilarious extended bit on the plane) that the franchise does best and good chemistry among the cast that ground the movie in reality enough despite the cartoony mayhem happening around them. B-

Loved Helen Mirren's cameo appearances. Charlize Theron makes for an intimidating villain even though she doesn't have any badass moments, although

Spoiler

I really hope her getting away at the end doesn't mean she's gonna become a part of the team in the next movie like previous baddies Jason Statham and Luke Evans do in this one after killing the female officer, who is also the mother of Dom's baby.

18 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Is anyone else bothered by the random naming of the baby Brian as blatant attempt to draw tears from the audience? shit was gross

No

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That was really sweet tf

I mean it would've been fine if they had set it up in the movie but they literally only brought Bryan up once before that (and that just felt like a forced explain why he's not there moment.) I shed a tear yeah. But it was an incredibly cheap ploy that was fully unearned

One of my favourite parts of this is just how much of a brick wall they've made Hobbs into. In the prison scene he's straight up tanking all those rubber bullets then there's the bit with the Russians where one just kicks him and it does nothing.

He's pretty much superhuman at this point, and I don't have an issue with it. It's so much fun to watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

One of my favourite parts of this is just how much of a brick wall they've made Hobbs into. In the prison scene he's straight up tanking all those rubber bullets then there's the bit with the Russians where one just kicks him and it does nothing.

He's pretty much superhuman at this point, and I don't have an issue with it. It's so much fun to watch.

He also throws three full grown men into another room.  I don't care how big and strong you are, you are not throwing three 200 pound men 20 feet across the room.

• Like 2