grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Apes buzz feels non existent 

I agree. Apes isn't selling well for presales at my theater. The Ultrascreen DLX 3D showings together for previews are 17/301 and 2/301.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If Apes underperforms the it will give credence to the idea that people are conserving their money and deciding the hyped superhero flicks are the ones they will mostly come out for 

Or that there's no more audience for a 3rd movie than the audience who has seen the 1st and 2nd parts of the trilogy.  If the trilogy's peak BO has been $208M so far, even with BO inflation, this isn't gonna suddenly get to $300M b/c this trilogy requires you to know what the heck's going on from the prior movies...  

People will watch one movie to catch up...more than 1, nah - they pass...

Apes popped up 3 times, Dunkirk 6 times and Valerian 0 times ( booking is open for valerian right?) during a 5 minute pulse watch. 

Out of all 3 movies Dunkirk naturally is dominating social media activity with more than 60k tweets on Monday (perhaps mostly driven by 1d fans/uk audiences/nolanites?) compared to 4k for apes and far less for Valerian. 

Pro box office forecast as of yesterday is 51 for apes, 50 for Dunkirk and 18.5 for Valerian (Ouch!)

Dunkirk embargo drops on Monday July 17 and Valerians will drop on Wednesday July 19. I think the buzz around dunkirks reviews (whether positive or negative) will overshadow Valerians embargo drop and reviews

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Apes popped up 3 times, Dunkirk 6 times and Valerian 0 times ( booking is open for valerian right?) during a 5 minute pulse watch. 

Out of all 3 movies Dunkirk naturally is dominating social media activity with more than 60k tweets on Monday (perhaps mostly driven by 1d fans/uk audiences/nolanites?) compared to 4k for apes and far less for Valerian. 

Pro box office forecast as of yesterday is 51 for apes, 50 for Dunkirk and 18.5 for Valerian (Ouch!)

Dunkirk embargo drops on Monday July 17 and Valerians will drop on Wednesday July 19. I think the buzz around dunkirks reviews (whether positive or negative) will overshadow Valerians embargo drop and reviews

Yes, I have seen it pop up a couple of times on pulse.

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Dear lord.

Superhero Law >>>>> Tomato Law

Presale updates from Deep Wang:

- Apes running ahead of Covfefe and about even with Pirates still

- Dunkirk running ahead of Apes. Ridiculous presales, higher than Pirates 2 weeks out. Wonder how frontloaded it might be. The presales are actually just a bit lower than Doctor Strange was 10 days out

- Girls Trip definitely ahead of Bad Moms

- Valerian is pretty awful so far, no comps for similar movies. I want to say it is about even with Mummy but I don't have Mummy presales 10 days out

• Like 10

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Presale updates from Deep Wang:

- Apes running ahead of Covfefe and about even with Pirates still

- Dunkirk running ahead of Apes. Ridiculous presales, higher than Pirates 2 weeks out. Wonder how frontloaded it might be

- Girls Trip definitely ahead of Bad Moms

- Valerian is pretty awful so far, no comps for similar movies. I want to say it is about even with Mummy but I don't have Mummy presales 10 days out

Is it possible to separate 70MM showings from the rest?

If Valerian is even with Mummy, that's pretty damn good.

Edited by WrathOfHan