baumer

Asgard blesses us early. SMH 7.4, Apes 7.1, WW 1.2M Tues

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

Yeah it's an average bump. Spidey's increase feels like the first impressive day since OD.

It's the days you need to start turning it around...this was the time WW started to soar in its chase to take down GOTG 2...Spidey needs to show some good "rest of weekdays" to get some optimism back.  The weekend will be bad b/c of the certain lost showings/screens, but then it can restabilize for the coming weeks b/c it won't drop out of the theaters and it will probably keep the same amount of showings/day...

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But Guardians got two holiday bumps and very little competition on the 2nd weekend.

Technically, it got Mother's Day, Father's Day, and a great Memorial weekend with little competition...and finally left after July 4th...GOTG 2 had an ideal OW the way that month of "not well received" movies and dying franchises turned out...

It had as perfect a date as WW...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's the days you need to start turning it around...this was the time WW started to soar in its chase to take down GOTG 2...Spidey needs to show some good "rest of weekdays" to get some optimism back.  The weekend will be bad b/c of the certain lost showings/screens, but then it can restabilize for the coming weeks b/c it won't drop out of the theaters and it will probably keep the same amount of showings/day...

It depends from theater to theater. Homecoming has the same amount as Girls Trip and Valerian for the weekend at North Shore (5 showings) but less than DM3 or Apes at the one in Menomonee which is a bigger Marcus Cinema it has 9 which is about the same as DM3 and Apes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Overall, summer weekdays obviously only influence a movie's gross by maybe 5-10% (if people want to see it, they'll see it regardless of when it opens), but those 5-10% percent can sometimes decide whether it'll pass a certain milestone. Overall, though, Spider-Man would've been a success even if it came out in September, so ultimately it's not that decisive.

I agree... Guardians Vol. 2 with a 5% to 10% bump finishes somewhere between $410M and $430M. That's all I was really getting at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

DM3 is looking to finish it's DOM run with a very respectable total and it's OS run with the most impressive OS total of the summer.

It had a feeling this would happen since April. DM3 acts like Shrek 4 domestically but like Ice Age 4 internationally.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Let me know how close the 6th Wonder Woman movie comes to 300 m. :bop:

It can happen. I mean WW is in a lot of ways like SM1. And if you want you can count JL and BVS as WW movies. 

Homecoming is a massive success at the end of the day as it along with GV2 and WW (to an extent) to increase from it's predecessors and is looking at $300M/$800M+ but we might've overpredicted it like we do most MCU teamups.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It'll be fun to see who Wondy is in the 6th one... Assuming Gadot isn't still Wonder Woman 15 to 20 years from now. Will they recast young? Or, will they cast similarly to what was done with Gadot and cast just over 30? I actually can't wait to see most of these heroes recast. Not unlike Bond, it's fun to think of all the Supermen, Batmen, Spider-men, Jokers, etc.

Superman - Reeves, Reeve, Routh, Cavill and, hell, toss Cain in there too.

Batman - West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck

Spider-man - Maguire, Garfield, Holland

Joker - Romero, Nicholson, Ledger, Leto

Wonder Woman - Carter, Gadot

Hulk - Ferrigno, Bana, Norton, Ruffalo

Can't wait to see who takes up the mantle for Captain America, Iron Man, Wonder Woman, etc. next. I've always wanted to see the actor switch with each new director. Director recasts to his/her liking.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If it is set in whichever the hottest interconnected universe  is at the time of release and if every piece of marketing makes the film feel like X Character (co-starring Wonder Woman), it might actually crawl to 300 (after posting the worst second-week drop in the DCEU). :P Then we will get endless discussions about insane word of mouth versus "insane word of mouth." :D With me, of course, defending the film's "word of mouth" every other post.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 3

Just now, Cochofles said:

If it is set in whichever the hottest interconnected universe  is at the time of release and if every piece of marketing makes the film feel like X Character (co-starring Wonder Woman), it might actually crawl to 300 (after posting the worst second-week drop in the DCEU). :P Then we will get endless discussions about insane word of mouth versus "insane word of mouth." :D 

WW6 isn't dropping 70%+. :redcapes:

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It'll be fun to see who Wondy is in the 6th one... Assuming Gadot isn't still Wonder Woman 15 to 20 years from now. Will they recast young? Or, will they cast similarly to what was done with Gadot and cast just over 30?

If they are smart, they'll move on from Wonder Woman and cast Wonder Girl in her place for movies...it could even be a "passing the torch" movie to get it started (whatever background you choose for her, since they've had several, all of which could be good in movies:)...

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If they are smart, they'll move on from Wonder Woman and cast Wonder Girl in her place for movies...it could even be a "passing the torch" movie to get it started (whatever background you choose for her, since they've had several, all of which could be good in movies:)...

Nah... Just recast once Gadot's too old or audiences grow bored a la Spidey, Bats, etc. I mean, really, it's generally accepted. Bale's Batman took off. Holland's Spidey's raking in far more dough than Garfield's Spidey. Ruffalo's Hulk is the best received yet. If Reeves makes a good Bats flick, everyone will warm to Affleck. Unless the actor/actress is just fucking terrible, it's really the overall quality of the movie that matters most.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm expecting Wonder Woman to go home to mom pregnant in the sequel , so there's yer Wonder girl origin right there.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2