baumer

Asgard blesses us early. SMH 7.4, Apes 7.1, WW 1.2M Tues

14 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

unbearable drop for Apes, it needs lucks to at least match star trek beyond, never imaging Tomato Law could flop so hard......

SMH although not great too, but could overtake Apes soon enough.....CBM movies to Apes:

Image result for nobody likes you gif

OOMG!! I was just kidding!! I never hope it to be real!!! Apes is flopping!!!

This Tomato Law nonsense needs to end... Sure, it can apply to films that are completely novel/fresh as pure cinematic experience - Gravity and, likely, Dunkirk coming up this weekend - and superhero/adventure flicks. This is a talking monkey movie that wants to be even drearier than Apocalypse Now! and Schindler's List. I mean, I know many, many here love it. But, why in the fuck would you expect a large audience to eat this shit up? I can't believe folks aren't pleased that's it's even going to approach to $150M+ DOM. Star Trek Beyond was different... That was a fun, popping and bouncy sci-fi adventure that disappointed. That was made for a large audience and was pure popcorn chomping fun. War... Fuck no. Most people don't want to see war... They can just watch a compelling war drama instead.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Finnick said:

It will be 4M away from Guardians 2 and will most likely cut that gap down to 2.5M before the weekend gets here. Looks like it will officially pass Guardians 2 on Saturday.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This Tomato Law nonsense needs to end... Sure, it can apply to films that are completely novel/fresh as pure cinematic experience - Gravity and, likely, Dunkirk coming up this weekend - and superhero/adventure flicks. This is a talking monkey movie that wants to be even drearier than Apocalypse Now! and Schindler's List. I mean, I know many, many here love it. But, why in the fuck would you expect a large audience to eat this shit up? I can't believe folks aren't pleased that's it's even going to approach to $150M+ DOM. Star Trek Beyond was different... That was a fun, popping and bouncy sci-fi adventure that disappointed. That was made for a large audience and was pure popcorn chomping fun. War... Fuck no. Most people don't want to see war... They can just watch a compelling war drama instead.

On Star Trek Beyond, I watched that last night for the 1st time...and I was a little disappointed.  I see exactly why it didn't do well last year...it was missing the "it" factor that makes it more than just a double episode onscreen.  I get that they were going for the 3-man team up approach by the end, but that felt more forced than natural...and it just seemed a lot of the subplot/character development beats were repeating what went down in the original set of movies (especially the Kirk set) or what was going on in the original series'  actors' lives, which seemed out of place...

It's not a bad movie - I'd give it a B-, but I'm not sad I only saw it on the small screen b/c it's a double episode, not a movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Finnick said:

But for the purposes of this discussion, Wonder Woman has now outgrossed, when adjusted for inflation, the likes of Batman Forever and Batman Returns. That makes the fourth-biggest DC Comics movie ever, concerning tickets sold, behind Superman: The Movie, The Dark Knight Rises, Batmanand The Dark Knight.  

Yet the inflation-adjusted grosses for Batman Forever ($376 million in 2017/$184m in 1995) and Batman Returns ($346m/$162m) are close enough to Wonder Woman, especially when you remove the 3D/IMAX/PLF advantage, that it stands to reason that the Gal Gadot film is essentially playing like an old-school 1990's blockbuster. That's an accurate statement regarding legs as well, as the picture has earned 3.7x its $103.251m opening weekend over the last 47 days.

Just awe-inspiring.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On Star Trek Beyond, I watched that last night for the 1st time...and I was a little disappointed.  I see exactly why it didn't do well last year...it was missing the "it" factor that makes it more than just a double episode onscreen.  I get that they were going for the 3-man team up approach by the end, but that felt more forced than natural...and it just seemed a lot of the subplot/character development beats were repeating what went down in the original set of movies (especially the Kirk set) or what was going on in the original series' lives, which seemed out of place...

It's not a bad movie - I'd give it a B-, but I'm not sad I only saw it on the small screen b/c it's a double episode, not a movie...

I don't even really like it. I just mean, it's made to appeal to a MUCH wider audience than the new Apes movie. Folks that love this trilogy should be happy the studio was cool with the budgets as the movies went from dour to dourest shit ever from Dawn to War. It's really, really hard to sell what's happening/happens in War to the tune of $200M+ DOM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Only 1.5m down on Spider-Man now.

1.2M ahead of the first Hunger Games now and it will continue building that lead for the next 2 weeks. Should come out of this weekend about 3.5M ahead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

1.2M ahead of the first Hunger Games now and it will continue building that lead for the next 2 weeks. Should come out of this weekend about 3.5M ahead.

I would sue WB if nothing like re-expansion for WW on labour day weekend

A summer champion should close the summer of 2017 with dignity!!!  

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Which would be an excellent result, seeing his likely showings drop coming...

When scoping out Marcus Cinemas and other cinemas in Wisconsin I noted that the bigger ones like Majestic, Menomonee, Sun Prairie, Southgate, and South Shore and likely Mayfair seem to have 7-10 showings for Spider-Man, while the smaller ones like Bistroplex and North Shore have 4-5.

also The bigger ones have that have two PLFS have a combo of Dunkirk and ether Girls Trip or Valerian.

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Only 1.5m down on Spider-Man now.

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Two different comparisons to same film yet one makes a certain goal look difficult while another easy.

• Like 1

Both comparisons are excellent and tells us that we still don't know exactly where it will land.

Good increases for the numbers so far. Apes is dropping hard this weekend though.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Two different comparisons to same film yet one makes a certain goal look difficult while another easy.

THG had extremely good late legs. I still think WW has a shot to beat it, especially with a Labor Day expansion.

• Like 4