Plain Old Tele

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

This was so not what I was expecting from trailers. The first hour is really great and then it totally shifts and is completely different. The resolution is okay, but we don't quite get the payoff we'd expect.B+

What is so incredible about the movie is that not only does it switch Leeds halfway through there is really three distinctive stories in the film. And all three stories are allowed to be told. Cooper and Gosling are incredible and i liked it immensely.9.5/10

• Like 3

I give it a strong A. 

Each of the 2 stories I felt could have been movies on their own but they connected with each other powerfully that even when the overwrought music came up at end credits it almost got me. I love that he film takes time to examine each decision made by the fathers so that when consequences happen it hit emotionally. 

I really wish I didn't see the trailer or any marketing for this because it gives away FAR too much. I knew when most of the story beats were going to happen well before they happened. Still, this film really moved me. I think I liked it more than Blue Valentine. From a technical standpoint it's masterful (every shot of Gosling on the motorcycle was thrilling), the leads are given rich characters to work with and seriously pull it off, and it comes together quite beautifully at the end. 

Three very good movies for the price of one! 

• Like 1

Wow. Intense, thoughtful and absolutely heartbreaking, just like Blue Valentine. Give Ryan Gosling an Oscar already, the guy is insanely talented and managed to overcome typecasting in the best way possible, probably the best consistently working actor under 35 at the moment.

• Like 2

I liked it. Yes, I too was disappointed by the third act and by the fact they really didn't flesh out the Bradley Cooper story, but there's so much stuff in here that's terrific that I cant help but recommend it. The cinematography is absolutely remarkable and Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper pull off really good performances.

3,5/5

• Like 2

I've had several days to think about it, and I'm getting more and more convinced that this film totally worked for me almost on every single level. I'd hesitate to call it a masterpiece before seeing it for the second time, but I haven't been this impressed by a new film since Zero Dark Thirty, and I also think it blows nearly every other 2012 release out of the water. It does flirt with becoming a bit too melodramatic and overlong closer to the end, but thankfully never crosses that line, and the very ending is as perfect as the first 100-120 minutes. In any case, this is a movie every single film buff out there owes it to him- or herself to see. Ambitious dramatic filmmaking at its almost-finest.

• Like 2

Great review by Gittes. I agree with everything he says. He's right, it comes ever so close to becoming too melodramatic or too story heavy, close, but it never gets there. It's pretty much a perfect film because it's like you are watching the film incubate from the beginning. It grows right in front of your eyes and by the time you get to the third story arc, you are figuritively left breathless. Most films wouldn't have the audacity to have a two hour and 20 minute run time with this kind of story, but this does and it excels in doing so.

So this past weekend I was in Albany, NY and I was meeting up with a longtime buddy at the local theater in Schenectady, NY which is right next to Albany. Some of the scenes in the movie had some of the buildings that I literally passed while on my way to the theater so that was an awesome feeling. Anyway I was really digging the movie then the surprise that Ryan Gosling actually gets killed. I was not expecting that at all, the trailer lies big time. I really liked all the story lines (hey all of these story line's could of been their own movie) but the 3rd storyline kinda dragged a little. All the performances were great, I loved how everything came back around. If the movie was about 10 - 15 minutes shorter it would of been great. Grade: B+

Edited by Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum
  • Like 1

Current film of the year for me.  I know there hasn't been much in the way of solid releases for the first quarter (sans Side Effects and The Croods) but this film is just stunning.  It pushes boundaries.  It breaks molds.  It takes the elements of story and manipulates them into something greater.  And it makes you better having seen it.  Though both actors hold their own, Gosling is just next level in this.  I know people will think this is ridiculous but I legitimately believe he should be in the running for a Globe or Oscar because of the turn he gives.I don't feel like the topic of fatherhood gets tackled much in film and the levels this explores it at are unprecedented.  I LOVED the juxtaposition of the character's lifestyles.  And how everything didn't quite add up as it should have, especially once the sons were introduced.  I also think Dane DeHaan is going to do big things.  I was already on board after Chronicle and this sealed the deal.  Most of the negativity I've read or heard seems to come from the ending of the film but I thought it was necessary and brought everything full circle.  

A, possibly A+, for me.  Will wait for a second viewing to fully make up my mind.

Edited by RyneOh1040