baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

Hey, my final prediction was 43. Over 50? I tip my hat if you had that early.

LOL Not that early. A couple of weeks ago. Though I probably never made an official prediction. I made the comment in the buzz and tracking thread somewhere.

• Like 1

The soundtrack was huge in building interest. Can't be understated. It's like the Moulin Rouge soundtrack + the huge popularity of a classic book + DiCaprio = Holy crap, how did we not see that opening coming?

We all forgot how much of a draw Dicaprio is as a romantic lead. The soundtrack and fans of the book added a lot to this opening but I think Dicaprio was the #1 pull. He's an A-list draw like few others.
  • Like 2

We all forgot how much of a draw Dicaprio is as a romantic lead. The soundtrack and fans of the book added a lot to this opening but I think Dicaprio was the #1 pull. He's an A-list draw like few others.

I chalk it up to the marketing more than anything. If it was solely DiCaprio, all his movies would open to $50m+. And yet only Inception will top this OW for him. The marketing has made this look flashy, intriguing, romantic, dramatic, and showcased the great soundtrack on top of it all.

Nikki reports early numbers: http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/the-great-gatsby-overperforms-for-3-250-late-shows-breaking-record-for-female-driven-films/

FRIDAY 1:30 PM UPDATE: My sources now say Warner Bros‘ The Great Gatsby still “looks great” with today’s opening estimates ranging from $13M-$15M inside the studio to a high of at least $16M from rival majors. The weekend is looking as big as high $40sM. Pic is already is a record-breaker, doing more Thursday 10 PM / Friday midnight business from approximately 2,000 theaters than three other recent female-driven films. I’ve learned that early matinees today are very strong with lots of pre-sales, too, as the lush 3D drama expands into 3,535 locations (including over 3,000 3D locations in the mix) this opening weekend. The studio would be thrilled with a $35M debut but rival studios expect more.“Wouldn’t be surprised with $40+M to make it a horse race with Iron Man 3,” says a rival studio exec. Another thinks it has a “real shot’ at $50M.

Edited by grim22