baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

You need to keep expectations in check and also remember a film like Gatsby is in smaller screens so it is much easier to sell out.

If we went based on screen count to sellout ratio Magic Mike and Hangover 2 should be the biggest openers ever :P

Maybe so. Yeah I did make the same mistake with Magic Mike. That was a great weekend though because TED opened at the same time and they were neck in neck on Friday and then TED pulled away from it during the rest of the weekend.

Comparison of 1st Mon-Sun gross with the rest of run:SM3: 89.1 vs 96.3IM2: 83.1 vs 101.2Thor: 53.7 vs 60.6Avengers: 165.6 vs 250.3If IM3 gets 70m weekend, then Mon-Sun gross would be 108m and further gross required to reach 400m would be 118m. Should be convenient in that scenario.

If Iron Man 3 can get to 65-70m  AND Gatsby gets 55m or so, this will be a glorious weekend indeed. I'm hoping they both can co exist and we have a great weekend in store.

Gatsby number is ok but I expected more. But I am surprised by calling this a pure female film like sex and the city or twilight. I disagree with that. While it might appeal more to them, there is wider appeal among both men and women. Let us see how the OD play out. I see 4 sellouts at Regal Union Square for this evening( 3 2D and 1 3D). I expect it to have big OD for sure. How big we should hopefully know based on one of the super early number from Nikki. What ever she reports it will do another 5-10 million more.

• Like 1

FRI - $20.14(+165%)SAT - $30.61(+52%)SUN - $20.21(-34%)2nd wknd - 70.96mThat's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

I think it has a slightly smaller Friday jump with a slightly bigger Saturday, but I'm down with your total. I'm betting on a huge Saturday.

Gatsby number is ok but I expected more. But I am surprised by calling this a pure female film like sex and the city or twilight. I disagree with that. While it might appeal more to them, there is wider appeal among both men and women. Let us see how the OD play out. I see 4 sellouts at Regal Union Square for this evening( 3 2D and 1 3D). I expect it to have big OD for sure. How big we should hopefully know based on one of the super early number from Nikki. What ever she reports it will do another 5-10 million more.

Regal Union Square always has sell outs. That's why I like to check other theaters in other areas to get a sense of how a film is doing.. Iron Man 3 had 2 sell outs last night and no doubt it will have some tonight.  But if you look down a little further on the page you will see that 42 has a sell out show there tonight.