#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

This is amazing. Now waiting for the first May-bomb. Most likely at the moment: Hangover 3 (at least compared to its predecessor).

Hope it's not going to be "Star Trek".

Won't be like DS, Speed Racer or POP.

Only because that year (2011) sucked ridiculously for animated movies. The previous year had 5 animated movies make it to 200m DOM and beyond and 2011 had 0 animated movies reach 200m!  :lol:

Yeah, as if 2010 was typical.

This is amazing. Now waiting for the first May-bomb. Most likely at the moment: Hangover 3 (at least compared to its predecessor).

Hope it's not going to be "Star Trek".

Will Epic count? I really see that being swallowed up by all the comp. Does the expected 30M opening cut it for whatever its budget was?

Car's 2 was the 8th most succesful movie in America in 2011 with 191m. That is not a flop.

It is domestically, in relation to its budget and in regards to how it signified Pixar's lowest point, artistically. Apologists will spin everything in this board too.
  • Like 1

Yeah, as if 2010 was typical.

Pixar and animated movies were on a roll in 2010, with Pixar's pinnacle and highest earner ever in TS3. Cars 2 managed to squander away 80% of the goodwill TS3 and its predecessors earned for Pixar, that was its power of crapiness.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Pixar and animated movies were on a roll in 2010, with Pixar's pinnacle and highest earner ever in TS3. Cars 2 managed to squander away 80% of the goodwill TS3 and its predecessors earned for Pixar, that was its power of crapiness.

I think people have forgotten about it tbh. Edited by lab276

Proving that an auteur-driven drama can hold its own against an action tentpole, Baz Luhrmann's effervescent The Great Gatsby opened to $51.1 million at the North American box office in a major win for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.

Gatsby, outpacing expectations, came in at No. 2 behind holdover Iron Man 3, which took in about $74 million in its second weekend for a domestic cume north of $286 million.

Luhrmann's 3D adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel is easily the Australian director's best opening to date and also reinforces Leonardo DiCaprio's box-office prowess among the female set. The actor, playing the iconic and mysterious Jay Gatsby, stars opposite Carey MulliganTobey Maguire and Joel Edgerton.

The stellar domestic launch bodes well for Gatsby's international premiere at the Cannes Film Festival's opening night on May 15. 

Peeples aside, what do you guys think will be the first bomb this summer?

I don't see Hangover 3 coming close to its predecessor considering the competition involved. I also see STID being a one-week film with a disappointing run. So I see those two being the biggest disappointments, if not outright bombs ala DS and Battleship last year. AE may end up surprising with a decent OW and run. Never underestimate Will power and M. Night, despite his record critic wise, only has one true bomb in "The Lady in the Water" so far.

That's why Brave made 240M. Because Pixar had killed its brand with Cars 2. Right. I like the 80% number too. Was there a scientific poll on people's goodwill toward Pixar that showed an 80% drop in overall view in the company between TS3 and after Cars 2?

I don't see Hangover 3 coming close to its predecessor considering the competition involved. I also see STID being a one-week film with a disappointing run. So I see those two being the biggest disappointments, if not outright bombs ala DS and Battleship last year. AE may end up surprising with a decent OW and run. Never underestimate Will power and M. Night, despite his record critic wise, only has one true bomb in "The Lady in the Water" so far.

My thoughts exactly !