Mud (2013)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm torn on this movie. On one hand it's a perfect mood piece with terrific cinematography and soundtrack choices in addition to great performances from the lead child actors and their families (McConaughey is also good and Witherspoon is decent in an underwritten role). But ultimately I found the film's message disappointingly obvious and I didn't think Mud was a very interesting character. 

B/B-

• Like 1

I loved it. It's my favorite movie of the year so far, at least until Star Trek this week. Very authentic atmosphere and setting, beautifully shot, and wonderfully acted.  Nice to see such a well-written, well-directed, thematically rich film that isn't at all pretentious or needlessly high-falutin.

9/10

• Like 1

The pace is leisurely for sure, but that's not unusual for Nichols. He makes atmospheric movies, and Mud may be his best one. 

The complexities of family and love here aren't necessarily anything we haven't seen before, but they're brought about in such a real, surprising way: there's an element of real-world fantasy in the movie (boats in trees, a community of river dwellers) that perfectly counters Ellis' coming-of-age story. Ty Sheridan gives an even more versatile performance than his work in Tree of Life, and McConaughey continues his run as One of the Best Actors Working Today with what is his finest performance yet. 

An excellent film that I anticipate rewatching.

• Like 1

UGHHHH i just got back from this maybe I was expecting to much but it was good, not great. Move's alittle slow, the some of the side storys are not strong enough. Also can someone in a Movie please fucking die??? With that said The acting is perfect form McConaughey. It also may be the best acting ever by a Kid. 

Im torn but id say B-? maybe a C+

I love everything about the way Jeff Nichols makes movies. He's such a major talent that it's hard to imagine that one day he won't be as highly regarded as some of his peers. Awesome film. Matthew McConaughey and especially the main kid are great.

• Like 3

I thought womenfolk were portrayed pretty shallow in this film. Thought MM was good in this movie. But He was much better in the The Lincoln Lawyer. Surprised Michael Shannon did an almost insignificant role in the movie.

Obviously the actor who played Ellis stole the show.

Next to This is The End this is my favourite movie of the year.MM is absolutely Oscar worthy and Im wondering if hell be a double nom this uear with Wolf of Wall Street as well. The guy who plays Ellis is fantastic as well. A beautiful story that reminded me of Stand By Me in some ways.9.5/10

• Like 4

I feel like it could have used some editing (this story didn't need a two hour runtime IMO) but with its great performances, cinematography and overall atmosphere its still easily up there with Spring Breakers, Gimme the Loot and Berberian Sound Studio as one of the better films of an underwhelming year. 

4/5